Chapter 36: Mew

Thursday night.

Messenger notification: Gulf.

I looked at my locked phone and didn't dare touch the screen. My chest has been tightening since I talked to my sister. It hasn't stopped hurting.

Gulf. I look at him from a distance. I follow him at night since Monday. My Gulf, he has black circles in his eyes. I bet, I do too.

I am torn between my obligation and Gulf.

There were 3 conditions my uncle had set for me so I can finally get my parents legacy. The first one was to win IFL championship. My uncle said that it would be nice to accomplish something on my first year as the director of the school and it can potentially help the school expand at a bigger scale. I only opposed at first because of how Gulf and I started but after a while felt confident that we can actually win it.

The second condition was for me to work at his firm as a junior associate. I didn't want to at first. I didn't want to be tied down to his firm when Lisa's memory comes back. My uncle was covering for us. Lisa was with my parents when the fire that killed them and Gulf's father broke. But that never got out of the press. It wasn't reported. She was merely 9 then and we didn't want her to be bombarded by the media. My uncle was afraid that her loss of memory might make her a suspect to the case. So we hid it. That fucking 15 minutes tied me to my uncle.

The third condition and supposedly the easiest was to get married to any woman. The marriage gave him the assurance of me settling down to take care of the school. I thought this was set in stone, it turns out this condition will kill my soul.

------------------------------

Gulf is walking back to the dorm. He is kicking pebbles in the pavement while walking. This made me smile, very Gulf. Then he stopped and got his phone. After a few seconds, my phone vibrated.

Messenger notification: Gulf.

I made a deep breath, then another, because it was really hard to breathe.

I sat down at a nearby bench, contemplating, still trying to find a way to get the school and Gulf even if he finds out about my parents and Lisa. Whatever options I can think of, it all ends up with Gulf leaving me in the end. He can't know about my sister. He can't know about my parents. Will I be living with this lie forever?

Messenger notification: Mew, tomorrow is the finals. I promise to win this for you. I'll do my very best. I love you. Whatever it is, we can fix it.

Oh God. This hurts like hell. I can't take it anymore. I unlocked my phone and went directly to Messenger. I called him. He answered on the first ring.

"My God Mew. You know how to kill me."

"I'm sorry Gulf."

"Hey. I'm just so relieved you called. How's Paris?"

"Paris. Ummm, Paris is good, didn't really go out much. Anyway, it's your game tomorrow."

"Yes, I'd love you to be there."

"I wish that too Gulf. I'll be back Saturday morning. Will you stay at central district this weekend?"

"Of course. I miss you."

"I miss you too Gulf."

"You did huh? That's why I didn't here from you for four fucking days."

I closed my eyes, conditioned my voice to make it sound lighter. "Sorry Gulf but I promise to make it up to you."

"You better."

"Sleep tight love."

"Haha."

------------------------------

Friday morning.

Messenger exchange:
Mew: Good luck on the championship love.
Gulf: Good morning to you too. 🙃 hope you're here cheering for me. Instead of Reena.
Mew: what?!
Gulf: Kidding love. I only have you.
Mew: you better. I'll kiss all your bruises tomorrow.
Gulf: coach is calling us
Mew: Sending kisses 😘😘

-----------------------------

Friday lunch.

Messenger exchange:
Gulf: Mew, we won!!! We won!!!
Mew: i knew you would. You're the best football captain in town
Gulf: i really wish you're here
Mew: i wish that too. Can't wait to celebrate with you tomorrow. I love you
Gulf: all my bruises are in my dick, kiss it better
Mew: you're so lame. Make sure your phone has lock. I'll do more than that tomorrow
Gulf: promise?
Mew: but promises are meant to be broken love
Gulf: haha. Taking a shower now

I am so excited to see him. I plan to tell my uncle about him later. The partners at the firm were invited for dinner and he said I had to come too. If my uncle does not give me his blessing, I won't pursue the school. It feels lighter making this decision, that means I am making the right one. I know my parents in heaven and Lisa will understand. This will leave me with only one problem. The fire. This will take time but I'll make him understand. He had been very understanding this last week. I will persuade him with this one too.