Chapter 12

Adalee's POV

Victoria promised to show me around today, so that is what we're doing to do. After that interaction with Cora, we went back to our room and relaxed the rest of the day.

Getting ready is fairly easy, but today is different. I'm allowed to pick the dress.

Looking at all the different dresses is overwhelming, but one catches my eye. It's a light blue that matches my eyes and has diamonds sewn into the top part.

Finding it perfect, I put it on and look in the door mirror. My hair has been braided by Victoria, her being excited to do it. The dress reaches my feet, and the skirt of it flows out elegantly.

Walking out of the closet, I see Victoria dressed, with her hair ready. She's wearing a gold dress with red embroidery. The skirt flows flawlessly down her body, hugging her waist and then flowing outward.

She grabs my hand and leads me out the door. We walk through the castle to get to the entrance; me gawking at all the extravagant details that I've missed before.

We walk down the long cobblestone walkway to the village that I see in the distance. Every house seems to be uniquely built, having different shapes and colors of buildings.

We chat as we walk, talking about my life. "My mom was amazing. She died when I was six. My dad started to become abusive after she died," I say teary-eyed. "My sister used to protect me from him before she moved away when I was ten. She never came back."

Victoria stops walking and hugs me, pulling me into her welcoming arms. I stand there, arms by my side, as she rubs my back soothingly. Sniffling, I wrap my arms around her back.

Pulling away after some time, I wipe my nose and continue to walk on. Victoria then talks about her family. "I have three sisters, each of them as sweet as can be. You will be able to meet them later. My parents died when I was young, and I had to become queen at age twelve. It was overwhelming but so rewarding."

Wow. "I can't imagine becoming queen that young," I say as I hold her hand. Our hands swing beside us, walking in pace with each other.

"It was difficult, but I made it through. Now I'm eighteen and experienced enough to lead my people fairly." Victoria stops, and motions towards the town we just walked to. "Here is our main city. It's called Fairbeach, and it's our capital."

Looking around at the city, I take in all the people walking around and the colorful houses. There are also plenty of shops to purchase things from, people shopping around.

"It's beautiful," I say breathlessly, slightly uncomfortable with myself. Being around all these gorgeous people is sure to make your confidence rapidly decline.

Victoria drags me through to some shops, one special one catching my eye. It's a jewelry shop, and I notice a breathtaking necklace.

It's a turquoise sea glass necklace. The color reminds me of Victoria's eyes.

Victoria catches my line of sight, and instantly picks it up and brings it to the cashier. Walking behind her, I insist, "I don't need it, it's just stunning."

"I will get you everything you want and need. I can't tell you wanted this, so I'm getting it for you," she says with a final tone of voice.

Letting her buy it, she puts it on me. It sits beside my seashell necklace that my mom gave me, and they both mean so much to me.

Looking Victoria in the eyes, I say warmly, "Thank you. It means so much that you bought this for me."

Victoria smiles, kissing my cheek. "You're welcome, my love."