22

Will's POV (basically right after El leaves)

"So..." Mike broke the silence, "El's gone..."

"Yeah?"

"You said you wanna to discuss this further...?"

Mike seemed bolder, more confident. Maybe it was because he came out, he didn't have to hide himself anymore. At least not around me. On the other hand, I felt terrified. 

So I just nodded and stared down at the kitchen table.

Suddenly Mike placed his hand on top of mine on the table. My gaze instantly snapped to his touch. 

I realized my mistake too late.

"Oh..." Mike coughed and removed his hand to scratch the back of his neck.

"Shit dude I didn't, ugh," I was frustrated and confused and just scared all in all, "I'm not uncomfortable by you, I support you."

Mike smiled, "thanks." I felt his gaze on my. "Don't worry, I'm just as confused as you are."

I shook my head, I wasn't being honest with him. He deserved me to be just as open to him as he was to me.

"I should tell you something," my voice was suddenly weak.

I wasn't looking at Mike but I took his silence as a sign to continue. Deep breath, in and out.

I opened my mouth, "I'm--"

The door swung open and there stood my mother, arms empty and smile bright. 

"Hey boys!" she greeted and joined us in the kitchen. 

"Hey Mrs. Byers."

I just smiled in greeting as she passed through the kitchen.

"I'm going to shower and then prepare dinner," she called while walking down the hall to her room. I thought she was done talking but then she shouted, "Mike, are you staying for dinner?"

Mike looked at me as if to ask for permission, to which I just shrugged. 

"Uhhh, My mom wants me home before supper for chores!" 

I exhaled. He was making me so nervous I was glad to look forward to some time away. 

My mom never responded but I assumed she heard Mike and was now getting ready to shower.

Mike's gaze was on me again. I swallowed loudly and immediately blushed.

"What were you going to say?"

"Hmm?" I played dumb, grasping at straws, hoping he would just leave it alone. I had decided I was an idiot for thinking I could tell him, just being impulsive in the moment. Mike would probably think I was copying him, or mocking him. Or maybe he was joking about being gay just to get me to come out and spit in my face.

"You know what I'm talking about." He was impatient.

I sighed and looked anywhere but in his eyes. "I was just going to say that I'm proud of you, ya know, for coming out and all." I was so ashamed of my lie that I mumbled it.

Mike still heard and accepted the answer by wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a hug.

I tried to calm my heart as my face pressed against his soft shirt.

He pulled away but kept his focus on me. "I should go now." The smile was big on his face, contagious enough to spread to me.

I nodded, guilt still sitting in my chest like a stone.

Mike grabbed his stuff and walked out of my house. 

The moment the door closed I breathed out a sigh of relief.

I was such a coward.

-----

It's boring rn but it gets better.

I should be sleeping rn seeing as I have to wake up in a couple of hours but idgaf rn. Let me know if you want more drama.