I KNOW YOU'RE THERE

"What now?" Ned said, rather annoyed.
"Shh," Peter hissed, taking a step closer to what he hadn't been able to see a moment earlier.
He could now see that the room they were in was much like the corridors outside - metal and boxlike. The difference between this room and outside, aside from being larger, was that this room had a scarily high ceiling and, suspended between the floor and the ceiling on thick metal cords, was a cage.
Only it was a cage like none other Peter had ever seen. It had two crisscrossing layers of thick iron bars all around, so not floor or roof on the cage, and between the two layers was a layer of some sort of transparent surface.
"What's wrong?" Flash asked, scarily close to Peters ear which made him jump. Peter just shushed him, pushing him back and moving to a position where he could see a little inside the cage.
There was something - or someone? - curled into the corner. Peter couldn't make out features, just the dark shape of something there, glowing slightly greenish through with the night vision lens.
Who was that? Why was there a person in a cage in this massive underground base that they'd said they had had no use for before Peter and his friends needed a place to stay?
Peter turned to look at his friends. Ned and MJ, sitting on the floor, Flash looking considerable frightened, just a little behind Peter.
He turned back to the cage and blinked in confusion. Whatever was in there had moved - Peter could no longer see it from his position with the bars in the way. He repositioned himself again and relocated the greenish mass that was the caged figure. It was definitely person shaped now, lying on its back with its hands under its head.
"I know you're there." The voice was eerily loud, echoing around the big room. Peter immediately heard Ned and MJ scrambling to their feet, Flash stumbling backward into them.
But he said nothing, and didn't dare take his eyes off the figure. It didn't move again, but it continued to speak.
"Who are you, pray tell? I haven't had visitors in, well, it's hard to tell locked away in here. Months?" It was oddly melodic, that voice, with an accent that Peter couldn't quite place. He stepped back, motioning for his friends to get behind him then realizing they wouldn't be able to see him. Oh well, they were behind him anyway.
"Oh, come on, it's not very polite to pay someone a visit and then ignore them." Peter watched as the figure slowly, gracefully got to its feet. And then BANG.
Peter jumped as it flew forward and smashed into the cage bars. The whole room shuddered. He heard Flash whimper.
"In fact," the voice snarled. "It's very, very, rude."
Silence. Peter didn't want to do as the figure asked and speak to it, but he didn't know what else he could do in this situation. Moments passed. The person in the cage clung to the bars, staring at them through eyes that glowed green in the night vision.
And then the door behind them flew open with a bang, knocking into Ned and MJ and making everyone in the room, aside from the caged figure, scream. (Flash's was not very manly.)
"What the hell?" Bucky yelled. "What are you doing in here?!"
Peter ripped off his mask as light flooded into the room through the open doorway. His eyes took a moment to adjust and then he spun back to look into the cage.
Whatever it was wore his face and grinned with a terrible, viscous snarl of a smile, lips pulled back over Peters teeth.
That image of his own face grinning so wickedly was burned into his brain as Bucky yanked him backward out the door.