IS THIS BECAUSE I'M SPIDERMAN?

Peter paced back and forth in the room that wasn't really his. He couldn't stop thinking about that thing. What was it, really? If Wanda was right and it did used to be a normal person, how had it gotten like that?
"Hey, Peter?" MJ said softly, knockout lightly on the door frame. Peter stopped pacing, turning and smiling at MJ in relief. She crossed the room to him and he pulled her into his arms, exhaling deeply and attempting to relax.
"Did they tell you what it was?" MJ asked. Peter pulled away, looking at her. She was still pale, frightened looking. It wasn't often MJ looked scared.
"Some weird thing that's been locked up 'cause it's dangerous," Peter said, shaking his head. "They didn't tell me much though. They don't know much."
"Why did we get brought here when that's here?" MJ asked worriedly. Peter took her hand and pulled her over to the bed so they could sit down before he spoke.
"It's meant to be fully secure it can't get out."
"Meant to be?"
Peter looked away, staring at the floor. He couldn't tell her it might be able to get out; might always have been able to get out. Besides the fact that Bucky and Wanda had made him swear not to tell anyone about it, he didn't want to scare MJ like that.
"Don't worry," he said, flopping back onto the bed. "This is the safest place for us."
"It seems like we're not safe anywhere," MJ murmured. "We're not safe from the world out there, we're not safe in here with that... Whatever that is. What are we supposed to do?"
"Stay safe," Peter said, reaching up and fondling with a strand of MJs dark hair. "That's what."
"You seem to have not realised the whole point of my last statement was that no where is safe," MJ pointed out.  Peter chuckled.
"But we don't know that we're not."
"We're not."
"Stop, MJ, we-"
We're not, Peter!"
"You don't know that..."
"We're never going to be," she whispered, closing her eyes. "The blip that wiped out half the planet? Everything Mysterio did? Whatever this new monster is? That's not exactly safe, Peter."
"You're right," Peter said softly. He stood up, walking part way across the room before turning back to where MJ was still seated on the bed. "You're not safe. Not around me."
"That is not what I said."
"It's true though."
MJ did not respond and Peter did not speak. At last, MJ stood up and walked slowly towards him, stopping with at least a foot between them.
"You said it," she whispered. "Not me." Without another word MJ turned and walked out, leaving Peter alone in his room. The moment the door shut Peter retreated to his bed, collapsing onto.  This - everything - it was all too much.

It was much later when Flash arrived, barging into Peters room and finding him sleeping. Peter awoke immediately, always on edge these days. He sat up a little groggily and blinked at Flash in surprise.
"What are you doing here?" Peter questioned.
"I might ask you the same question."
Peter frowned in confusion. "It's my room..."
"I know, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay." Flash shifted awkwardly from foot to foot. "With, you know, what happened earlier."
Peter groaned and flopped back onto his bed again. It may be the middle of the day but he was exhausted. "We're safer here than anywhere else," he said, repeating the words he had been told multiple times by Bucky and Wanda. He wasn't sure he believed them, but recounting them to others was a better idea than freaking them out.
"Do you, uh, wanna hang out?"
Peter blinked jo at the ceiling. "When have we ever hung out?"
"I figured we might as well start..." Flash said, faltering a little.
"Is this because I'm Spiderman?" Peter asked. He would have found the whole thing somewhat comical if he hadn't been so worried about everything else.
"No!" Flash exclaimed. "No, of course not."
"You hated my guts before you knew."
"That's a lie!" Flash protested. Peter raised an eyebrow and Flash sighed. "Fine, maybe a little because of the Spiderman thing. But I never hated you."
"No?"
"No, of course not."
"If you say so." Peter sighed, sitting up, a fraction of a smile appearing. "So, you wanted to hang out? I probably won't be getting back to sleep anyway."