4. Royal Dinner

All Chitra could think about was the shadow of darkness in her life, she just lost those tiny bits of hope she was holding onto since her childhood. Why is her life so pitiful? Was she never destined for happiness in life? A wave of sadness plunged through her at the thoughts making her wail loudly, she leaned her head onto the tiny rope of the swing as Meenakshi tried to console her.

Her step-mother, the queen has finally shown her true colours, she has arranged Chitra's wedding with the son of the finance minister.

"Marrying a minister's son is not as bad as you think, princess." Whispering as slowly as possible Meenakshi moved forward, holding Chitra's face in her wrinkled old hands trying to cheer her, "And you will finally be able to move out of this palace as you have always dreamed."

Listening to those Chitra broke down crying loudly, her heart drowned in pain as she managed to speak in between her tears, "For god's sake he is married, Meenamma! What is the use of moving out of this place? I will be just moving to another hell."

Meenakshi's heart gave out for this poor princess, all Chitra ever wanted was love but we never get what we want, do we?

Signing sadly, Meenakshi stood silently giving the Princess some time to let her get used to this unavoidable situation. No one can go against the Queen, and especially for someone like Chitra, it was almost impossible as the Queen hated her with a burning passion.

"We need to go to the dinner, princess." Meenakshi reminded her by slowly patting her head, trying to console her. This was the first time that princess Chitra was being invited to a royal dinner and as a handmaid, it was her responsibility to have the princess look presentable.

"Can't I just have dinner in my chambers like every day?" Chitra asked, wiping tears off her red face looking up at Meenakshi, as she was completely exhausted with all this drama. Chitra was always aware of the queen's hate but only today she realised that the queen's only motive was to destroy her life.

When Meenakshi didn't respond Chitra understood that the dinner is unavoidable. She slowly stepped down from the swing adjusting her heavy skirt and veil, if the Queen wants to destroy her life then so be it. She couldn't even fight anymore, no one other than her handmaid ever cared.

"Look at my life Meenamma, I can't even eat food peacefully," Chitra mumbled looking down at her feet, trying to blink away her tears.

"Don't be so unhappy, princess. Every dark night has a star hiding somewhere, and all you have to do is to find it." Meenakshi said, her voice carrying hope and positivity.

"Ridiculous," Chitra whispered, dodging the words of her brain. She has no hope left in her gloomy life anymore. The thoughts of her dark life riled up anger within her, why can't just Meenamma just accept it that her life is a lost game now!

Chitra turned around in a swift with an irritated look on her face, "Where is the star then? I can't find any!"

"Umm, food? At least, the food tonight will be tasty?" Meenakshi hurriedly squeaked out her thoughts leaving Chitra surprised, but that surprise slowly subsided being replaced with a heavy sadness as the princess marched away.

* * *

Chitra has changed into the finest of her silk clothing. The bright royal blue and parrot green half-saree brightened her light complexion as she elegantly walked through the palace corridors. Her eyes turned puffy and heavy from the crying, making her already feel exhausted.

The closer she got to the palace dining hall, the nervous she became making her fingers fiddle with the white pearls necklace around her neck. What if Priyamvada insults her in front of all those royals, can she ever gather enough courage and tell her off? But above all those fears remain a silver lining, she was getting to see the king, her father after years.