Chapter 37

The closer the boys got to the institute, the larger the path formed between the trees. Krey had walked in and out of the institute a million times. He was sure the track was made from all the times he stomped back and forth from Crescent Town.

Pip's grip on Krey's hand was a little sweaty when the large building loomed in the distance, lighting up some areas of the woods, and making the shadows even darker. Krey was relieved to see his home, but Pip was nervous, he could tell by how tightly Pip gripped his hand.

When the gate and the guards were only ten metres away, Krey stopped. "They will stare at you, and some might not be nice stares," Krey said. "My mum might be angry, and she might yell in front of you. If you're worried, just stay close to me, look at the ground, and we'll go straight to my bedroom. Okay?"

Pip nodded. His blue eyes were large and anxiously darting around. He had never felt more nervous. Pip would rather present in front of his entire college than walk into the institute. The last time he was there, he was thrown in the cellar and broke his fingers.

You're not trespassing this time, Pip reminded himself. Krey won't let them hurt you.

Krey turned to face the path. He intertwined his fingers with Pip and stood straighter. He was proud of Pip and holding hands with him was a symbol of their bond and attachment. "Alright," Krey mumbled with his head held high. "Let's go."

Krey could smell Pip's fear when the gate came into view. He wished that he had told his pack and that they expected him to arrive with his human mate. Krey was just thankful that they made it to the institute in one piece. Judging by the lack of messages on his phone, and the quiet woods, Jordan had kept his mouth shut.

The boys stepped from the path out into the open. Krey kept a stern frown. "Open the gate," he demanded. The guards hesitated, and when he looked, all eyes were on Pip. "I said, open the gate," Krey growled, pulling Pip closer. He felt very protective of him. Everyone diverted their eyes for Krey; it should be the same for his mate.

Krey couldn't yell at them for staring. Seeing Krey with an Omega was suspicious enough. Now he was with a human and holding hands with him.

The gate buzzed open, slowly sliding to their right, revealing a neat stone path and trimly cut grass. Pip's eyes followed the path until he saw the building. Old, yet wonderfully large with three stories, and many windows staring back.

The building was made from washed out yellow brick and stood out against the dark woods.

When the gate had opened enough for Krey to slip through, he pulled Pip through too. The gate immediately started closing behind them. Krey relaxed a little. They were safe.

"You okay?" he asked as they walked to the institute. Pip gripped his hand so hard, Krey could no longer feel his fingers.

"They looked at me weirdly," Pip whispered.

"It'll be strange for them to see me with a human. You'll get a lot of weird looks for a while, but so will I." He hoped Pip took comfort in the fact that they were in this together.

A few werewolves sat on the steps by the front door. Krey didn't recognise them because he barely knew anyone from the pack. The first time he had spoken to Francis was the night Pip broke in, and she had been in his father's pack for years.

When they saw Krey, they scrambled to their feet and lowered their heads out of respect, though some double glanced at Pip.

Krey didn't stop and marched with his mate up the steps. Their eyes followed him. Krey had to get to his bedroom as fast as possible. He heard their intense whispering. By morning, everyone would know about Pip and be able to smell his human scent all over the building.