Chapter 1

ALICE POV

My heels clashed against the cold marble floor, causing an echo to cry out in the silent hallway. However the silence being held in the hall wasn't the good kind. No. It was the eerie kind that for some reason always made the hairs at the back of your neck spike to attention and caused goose bumps to scatter along your arms.

But that silence was normal at Brumous Prison. The prison was home to many evil criminals. Of course it had no infamous serial killers such as Ted Bundy and so on. The prison was mainly filled with people everyone else thought were normal, but were in fact found guilty of their crimes. However among those who were thieves and con men there were still killers. Cold blooded killers. And it was my job to talk with them.

Being the Prison psychologist in the male inmates wing I had to test all those who could potentially be insane and therefore I'd decide if they would face their sentences here or in a mental hospital.

Though none of my patients were Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy, they were just as cruel. They still had serpent blood coursing through their veins. They still had cold eyes I was forced to stare back into and their gazes made me sick to my stomach. It was those cold, cold gazes that often tormented my dreams and kept me up at night.

I had left work for 3 months. There was an incident, meaning I needed to take time off. I even saw a therapist of my own for a few weeks. But now I was back, ready to face the dark minds once again.

I was surprised at first they even let me stay after what happened, anyone could see I wasn't in my right mind. It really fucked me up. But I was good at my job. Very, very good at it. Which was quite odd considering i was only 22, but I had always understood people. I was good at reading them so I did very well at my college, Stanford, so I was a good risk for anyone to hire. And here I am, 1 year after graduating.

Bag in hand, I pressed my key card against the pad and entered the ward. Nothing had changed, which for some reason shocked me even though I hadn't been gone for long enough to return to dramatic change. What was I expecting? The world to fall apart while I was gone? No, because even if your world seems like it's breaking apart and collapsing on top of you, the rest of the world continues to spin and carry one as if oblivious to what you are seeing. But that's not too bizarre, all 7.7 billion people on our planet don't just stop for 1 person.

Today I wanted to make a good impression. I wanted to seem together. I was together. I was fine. I had worn my favorite purple silk blouse and paired it with a simple black pair of pants and matching blazer. My hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and I had only worn natural makeup. I didn't usually bother with foundation because I was lucky enough to be one of those girls who had never really suffered with acne. This meant I normally only applied concealer, mascara, eyeliner and did my eyebrows. I also carried a Chapstick and gloss as in this cold weather my lips would often crack.

I liked winter despite its bitter cold weather and disastrous sickness. I loved wearing snug clothes that didn't sexually exploit me or show my scars, clothes that just made me comfortable. And I lived for the moments that I could enjoy wrapped in my blanket with a movie playing in the background as I stared out my window watching the snow fall from the sky, landing on the ground. The scenery was always stunning, trees dusted in sugar like snowflakes. So beautiful and peaceful.

Compared to the sweaty, clammy summer's spent in denim shorts that only caused pain and the eventual boredom of being able to do everything. But even when the world is your oyster and you have no responsibilities for weeks, it gets boring.

I was greeted by the head of the ward, and given my folders which were already full of the information about my brand new patient. Today I would just read through the notes, create a basic assessment plan and that would be all.