Prologue

I was born with emerald green eyes, the trait of the supreme alpha in my parents' pack. My whole life I'd been told and reminded of the power I'd inherit from my mom. She came from some ultra powerful bloodline, and the fact that I was born with alpha eyes seemed to be a sign that I would be even more powerful than her.

Ha. Good one.

I fought for my 'normal life.' Well, as normal as it could be for the heir to a powerful bloodline. I went to school, trained, partied, and trained some more...just like all my friends.

The only difference was that my wolf surfaced a lot sooner, and I had a harder time wrangling her into submission. I shifted for the first time when I was eight, four years early by traditional werewolf proceedings. Of course, that was only a minor timeline snag.

When I was ten, I shifted and blacked out almost immediately. My parents found me hours later in the woods, scratched like I'd fought something much bigger than myself but otherwise fine.

On my twelfth birthday, I had some kind of shifting spasm where my eyes flickered a different color. That's when my parents started to wonder if there was something more to the alpha bloodline.

When I was 16, a high-profile entourage passed through our pack's territory. My mom told me that it was lycans, a rare breed of werewolves ten times more powerful than even us. They were so rare that only one lycan family existed per continent in the world.

Everyone knew that the Regis family were all lycans. Powerful—physically, socially, and politically—domineering, and drop-dead gorgeous, they commanded the room as soon as they entered. There were four sons and two daughters, the largest lycan family ever recorded. Throughout the more recent years, tons of rumors and speculations went around. Were they actually siblings? Were they secret mates posing as siblings? Had one of them been turned?

I didn't listen to any of it. Honestly, I don't really care. Sure, I was the daughter of the first duo alphas in history and was born with the emerald green alpha eyes myself.

I was in training when the lycans arrived. You could feel the power pouring out of them. Even from the training house, I could feel it. My wolf got quite excited, but I held her in check. For the next hour, I fought against her desire to go see the lycans. My parents had made it clear that I wasn't to be seen while they hosted the lycans. I couldn't blame them.

When the lycans finally left, my wolf actually whimpered. I felt her pain in my chest, and it made me pause. This couldn't be right. It felt like... heartbreak? No, it couldn't be. The only time a wolf has its heart broken is when they get rejected by their mate. I most certainly hadn't met mine yet. It was two years too soon.

After a couple weeks at school, she was so crazy that I went to the pack doctor. He told me to wait a couple days.

I found an envelope in my locker with a beautiful sapphire pendant inside. The accompanying note merely said "this will help." No name or indication of the sender. As soon as I put the pendant around my neck, my wolf calmed. From that day onward, I never took it off.