Chapter 45

AN: OK so several 'small' announcements!
1) responding to your comments was honestly amazing!! I walked around all day with a permanent smile on my face looking like I had some endorphin overdose!! I love you all unconditionally and I'll continue to respond to comments once in a bit better 💞
2) i am so so so SO incredibly sorry for my inexcusably long absence. I fell victim to the Coronavirus and was ill for quite some time. I'm still not completely well but I'm much better than I was :)) ❤️
3) for 6K—thank you all so so so much!! I didn't expect to come back to that magnificent jump; you guys are beyond amazing!! ❤️
4) I hope you're all staying safe and keeping well during this quarantine!! Keep your sanity everyone and we'll be out of the woods soon!! And I'm sending you all a virtual hug!! ❤️❤️❤️

Just to say, my brain is now mush so my writing in this chapter is AWFUL. But I didn't want to leave you guys for a month with nothing so I apologise sincerely for how god awful this chapter is. I will edit it when I acquire more functioning brain cells.

The night sky was starless, a black shroud of pollution hiding the stars that shone beyond the obscuring murk. Looking out beyond the glass wall, Loki could see the descending darkness with only speckles of light, either moving or stationery. Like stars amidst a swirling gloom. Much like the Void, he realised.

Loki briefly wondered how it would feel to just fall —fall freely and blindly to his death. But he knew how that felt, didn't he? He had tried that once before, a lifetime ago. And yet still he lived.

He glided soundlessly across the corridors, this time keeping himself and his gaze away from the glass walls. It wouldn't do any good to tempt fate now.

His feet led him to the communal room, plunged into a black-blue darkness. He would've said empty, if his eyes hadn't immediately sought out any presence in the room, and landed on a silent statue standing by the window.

And then the statue broke from its pose, and the room brightened with a small murmur. Natasha approached him slowly with a small smile.

"We haven't done this in a while," she uttered, standing a cautious metre away from the god before her. Both of them barefoot, the imagined cold, awkward draught whipping round their ankles.

When Loki didn't respond, she stepped forward deliberately, darkened eyes trained on Loki warily.

"You ok?"

"I did not wish to sleep tonight." The sentence was said so quietly it was almost stolen away by the following silence.

"That's ok." She couldn't really be all hypocritical and send him off to bed. Besides, drawing attention to herself not sleeping was something she planned to avoid.

"You are not resting either."

Damn.

"I didn't want to." Another step, bringing them almost half a metre apart. One more and she'd be able to feel the breath of cold air radiating from him. A final step and she'd be able to see the darker green flecks decorating the verdant orbs, the slightly pink tinge of his impeccable, thin lips—

"Would you like me to depart?" He sounded almost lost, painfully hopeless.

"No, you don't have to leave." One and a half steps brought her directly under his viridescent gaze. "Stay." Warm fingers slotted into the cold ridges, a perfect fit. A gentle tug towards the leather sofa, a ghostly silent walk where neither of them broke contact.

"Sit with me." Natasha curled up slightly in the corner, forcing Loki awkwardly into the middle. Sighing, she pulled his head down to have it rest in her lap, the soft black hair twining between her fingertips.