Extended Summary

Moving was always tough. Zoey Vasquez knew that for sure. 

When she moved for the first time in second grade for her dad's military job, it was so cool! There was a big truck and their house looked so empty afterwards. She could do cartwheels in the living room! 

But then she moved a second time. 

Then a third. 

And a fourth. 

Arizona. 

Florida. 

New York. 

Eventually she stopped counting. 

One thing she could always count on, however, was her annual family reunion. Where her large Latino family gathered in one spot and she could reconnect with all her primos. 

But then her parents got divorced. 

That wasn't fun. 

So, back to her hometown she went to live with her grandparents while her parents sorted out custody. 

She was 12.

One thing that Zoey knew she could count on was books. Books were always there, no matter where she went. History, math, science, fiction, non-fiction. Every town had a library. 

So maybe she skipped fourth grade. Who cares, fourth grade isn't nearly as important as fifth where you get to do all the big kid stuff. Like longer recesses and having desks that open up rather than sharing a table. 

Sometimes when Zoey was out of California, she missed Pasadena. Her favorite cousin lived there. Ashely Garcia. But she wasn't in Pasadena anymore, either. She moved to some other place to do college at nine. 

Cool, huh. 

Not really, because she didn't end up making it back for the reunions. Which made her the youngest there, so not fun. 

It's been three years since beginning her stay with her grandparents, and now Ashley's back! In Pasadena where it all began, living with their tío Victor as a NASA employee!

Zoey's junior year was sure to bring a lot of surprises.