The Goodbye

~ The Goodbye ~

"Gotham P.D.'s collecting evidence at the Court of Owls. I suspected Samantha's involvement early on. S.T.A.R. Labs should have an analysis of the talons' remains within the week," Bruce reported as him, Dick, and Alfred cleaned up the destroyed Batcave.

Though Dick didn't say a word, Bruce knew exactly what he was asking.

"He needs this time to find his own place in the world. So does she, wherever she is."

"He's a ten year old boy. And she's a twelve year old girl," Dick protested. His protective older brother instincts long to keep Damian and Daire- all of his siblings, really- locked in a safe, magic bubble where they could live the rest of their lives in peace. He knew it was impossible (One, every one of said siblings would go kicking and screaming. Two, magic just didn't work that way). But he couldn't help how he felt. He only controlled his actions to said feelings. And if he couldn't keep them in a magically safe world, he could at least keep them safe.

But how could he keep them safe if he didn't know where they were? He couldn't. Well, he knew where they were. Damian was relatively safe. Sadly, that wasn't the case for Daire. She was with the freaking League of Assassins! That was no place for a child, let alone his little sister. She was so kind and gentle (not innocent, but that gave more meaning to her thoughtfulness). He knew as well as Bruce did that she wasn't with Talia by free will. If Daire went willingly, then it was because Talia threatened Damian, the family, or both. And that wasn't "willingly," that was corrosion.

"No. They just look like it." And Dick opened his mouth to protest, yet Bruce continued, "There's not another child on Earth like Damian Wayne, nor Daire Wayne. When the time is right, they'll will be back. And it won't be because I want them to, it'll be because they want to."

"What about Daire?" Dick challenged.

Bruce just gave that annoying silent nod. He knew where Daire wanted to be, knew she wasn't there/ here. "She'll return when she's good and ready, like I said." Which meant Bruce knew something he didn't. Dick huffed but knew he wouldn't get much more out of the Bat. Guess he was going to hack the Bat-computer later.

"And if you're wrong, sir?" Alfred asked.

"Sometimes, Alfred, you have to have a little faith," the man quoted.

A smile smile graced both men's features. Bruce had faith in all of his children, even if it took a while for him to admit it. And yes, he missed each and every one of them; yes, he wanted to be there for them every step of the way; yes, he wanted to protect them and keep them from making too many mistakes, but he knew this time apart would be best for them. Damian and Daire will find their ways back, as determined and stubborn as ever.

He could wait. And when they returned, he'd accept them with open arms.

He'd never let them go again.

Because he loved them, even if he had a funny way of showing it.

His son. He had a son.

And a daughter. He had a daughter.

And while he missed them dearly, he knew they needed this time apart, alone. He knew they'd be back.

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

Fighting the urge to either cover her ears or run up and free the man, Daire silently closed her eyes as another scream echoed in the air. Heretic put a firm hand on her shoulder. He knew this was hard on her. She had long since verbalized her grievances with how her mother's plan played out. Daire had a soft spot for other people, a compassionate moral compass that contradicted her current lifestyle. Still, he knew she wouldn't leave. He gave a small squeeze, a silent "You're not alone," to the girl he almost loved. The action was meant to be comforting, but Daire shrugged the hand off and marched away. A stabbing feeling pounded in his heart, still adjusting to the closed off girl whom returned from Gotham.