Chapter 47: MewGulf

GULF

Something's off with Mew. Is it just my imagination or does he sound like a robot?

I arrived at his office around 430pm.

"Hi Malee."

"Gulf McQueen, right? You can go to his office now."

"Okay, thanks."

I knocked at the door.

"Come in." I went in to see Mew on his desk concentrating on his paperwork. He has his glasses on again. The first time I saw him wearing those glasses, it brought me back to the time when he was still my professor. That glasses could have added some spice in our sex life.

"Gulf?" He was looking at me. My mind wandered for a while.

"Yes, I came here to share with you my conversation with my mother." I went ahead and sat on the chair in front of his desk. Then I looked at him. He was waiting for me to talk.

"Tell me." Mew said. Something's really off and I can't put a name to it.

"I talked to her about the night I saw her crying in my father's study. That was the night of the fire. I asked her why she cried. She told me that my father told her to live her life to the fullest and that he knows about her and my uncle."

"Really?"

"Yes, she also added that my father talked to my uncle and gave him his blessings. He warned my uncle that there might be a scandal but before that happens, he wants my uncle to promise him that he'll take care of my mom and me."

"You didn't know about this before?"

"No, whatever scandal it was I think your uncle's firm did a good job in hiding it."

"Why did you hate your mother before Gulf?"

I was taken aback by his question. Why did I hate my mother? "I guess my mother was always preoccupied by something else. When my father died, it was only me and her. I think, I wanted it to be that way. For me to take care of her. For her to be satisifed by only me."

Mew looked at me for a long time. Then he stood up and looked at the window. "I tinted this window Gulf."

"Huh?"

"I tinted the window because I want to be in control of who sees me."

"What are you talking about Mew?"

He looked at me and I feel the hair in my nape standing up.

"For the last time Mew, are you okay?"

"Yes." He released a deep breathe and smiled. "I will look into this new information. I still have friends inside my uncle's firm."

"Thanks Mew." I stood up and bid him goodbye.

————————————

I was driving back to the country, my mind only occupied by Mew. Something was off today. Mew didn't look desperate to see me. He wasn't pushy or annoying or irritating me. He didn't drop cheesy lines. He was so fucking calm. And this feeling in my chest is quite familiar. I felt it when he told me he went to Paris and I was wondering what happened to him for days. I stopped the car abruptly.

I called his phone, cannot be reached. I tried to call his office. Someone pick up please.

"Attorney Bennett's Office."

"Hi, Malee. This is Gulf. Is Mew still there?"

"Oh hi Gulf! Attorney left after you left."

"Ummm can you give me his home address?"