Chapter 4

The world was spread below Arcturus like a patchwork quilt, the fields of crops splitting the earth into squares of green, yellow, and brown. With every beat of the Peryton's wings, the fuzzy white cloud bank above them loomed closer. Soon they were in the mist, surrounded by a haze of the purest white Arcturus had ever seen. He revelled in the cool air, opening his mouth to catch droplets on his tongue. It was over all too soon, for they burst clear of the other side into the bright sunlight moments later.

"You've got a strong grip there, lad!" Lieutenant Cavendish chuckled, before clucking her tongue at Hubertus. The Peryton slowed down, until they hung above the clouds, rising and falling with each wingbeat.

"Sorry," Arcturus breathed, realizing he was squeezing her midriff tight. He relaxed his grip and gazed at the cloudscape around him. It was if they were floating above a sea of cotton, soft and welcoming as a featherbed. He had an insane urge to dive into them, but a gap revealing the ground far below reminded him of where he was.

"You'll get used to it," Lieutenant Cavendish said over her shoulder. "The first time I flew, I threw up over the side."

"I wish you hadn't said that." Arcturus groaned, feeling his stomach give a sudden lurch. He was not the only one feeling ill. Below him, he could sense that the demon was feeling nauseous as its box swung back and forth, and the hunger that gripped its belly was not helping matters.

Lieutenant Cavendish swivelled in her seat and flashed him a grin.

"You know, we're going to be traveling together for the rest of the day, we might as well get to know each other. My name is Elizabeth Cavendish, what is yours?"

"Arcturus, good to meet you," Arcturus said, proffering his hand and shaking hers awkwardly. He hesitated, then asked. "You're very young to be an officer, aren't you?"

"My, my, aren't you the forthright one!" she laughed, tossing her hair from her face. "Actually, I've just graduated from Vocans, so I'm twenty years old. All graduates go on to become officers, but I'm just a Second Lieutenant, the lowest rank possible. I'm glad of it to be honest, what with the baby on the way. The less responsibility the better!"

"You're having a baby? Shouldn't you be resting, instead of fighting in the army?" Arcturus asked.

"Nonsense," she scoffed, giving him a prod. "Maybe in a few months, but I'll go home when I'm good and ready, thank you very much! Of course, most nobles my age have children as soon as they graduate, if not before, so the army are very understanding."

"What's the hurry?" Arcturus asked.

"Don't you know anything?" Elizabeth smacked her forehead. "I keep forgetting you're just a commoner. Very strange business, you'll have to fill me in on the way."

Arcturus bristled at the word "just" but forgave her for it almost instantly. Of all the nobles he had met, she was by far the nicest, and didn't mean any offense.

"Nobles have children early because only our firstborn are guaranteed to inherit the ability to summon as well as our estate. If I was to die in battle tomorrow, the Cavendish line would be cut off forever! Better to leave a successor, just in case. Luckily for me, the Aerial Corps is a pretty safe job at the moment. We do a bit of scouting, keep an eye on Hominum's borders, avoid the occasional orc javelin here and there. Pretty simple stuff."

It made a lot of sense, but it made Arcturus feel almost sorry for the nobles. Imagine having to marry so young, even if you hadn't met your soulmate yet!

As if she could read his mind, Elizabeth smiled and clicked open a heart shaped locket that hung around her neck. A tiny painting of a handsome, mousy haired man sat within.