𝐗𝐈

BREE tested the Raisin Bran in the bowl in front of her, making sure it was soggy enough to be void of all crunchiness before she brought it to her mouth. Her father appeared from the hallway at that moment and took a seat across from her at the kitchen table.

"I'm over at Crane's house tonight. You want to come by after school?" her father asked.

Bree shook her head adamantly. The last time she'd agreed to an outing at the Crane's, she'd been bored beyond reason. She remembers watching the minute hand move with the tick of each second on their living room clock.

"No. I have stuff to do around here anyway. I have a test to study for." Bree stated.

"On a Friday night?" Johnny Hanson looked at his daughter disapprovingly. Not that every father didn't love the idea of his daughter being safe at home, rather than at some loud and obnoxious party, but Johnny also wanted Bree to be well-rounded, socially. The thought of her at home, all by her lonesome, while he was out with friends kind of made him feel guilty.

"Well…I guess I could go up to Peak Point and get drunk afterwards, if that'll make you feel better." Bree joked.

Johnny rolled his eyes at her sarcasm. "And was I dreaming, or did I hear the phone ring last night?"

"Oh, yeah. That was for me."

"Who was it, your mom?" Johnny asked, sure of her answer. He was only half listening as he used a shoehorn to get his boot on.

"No, it was a … friend from school."

Johnny noticed the hesitation in Bree's voice and it caused him to sit up and take notice. "A female friend, or a male friend?"

"Actually, it was Harry. You know, the guy I've been tutoring in English?"

"What'd he want?"

"To talk about an upcoming English test. He's a little worried about it." It wasn't a complete lie.

Johnny looked Bree up and down, as if he were trying to decide whether or not he should believe her. Finally he shrugged and finished putting on his shoes. "You sure you don't want to meet me out at La Push? Sue is grilling up trout."

"As tempting as that sounds, I still think I'll pass," Bree stated as she stood up to put her cereal bowl in the sink. The mention of dinner caused her to check in the refrigerator to see what her options were for the last meal of the day. The contents were scarce. Well at least she now had something to do on a Friday night in a freakishly boring town: grocery shop.

* * *

Connie was so tired that she'd considered staying home from school, but as the rules stood, if a cheerleader missed school on a game day, they couldn't cheer at the game – and Connie had worked way too hard on the routine to skip it now. So even though she was dead on her legs, she drug herself up to Tom before her first class.

"I'm not going to make it," she said dramatically.

Tom smirked at her exaggeration and kissed her on the forehead. "I can sneak coffee for you out of the teacher's lounge," he offered.

Connie made a face. "No thanks. That stuff tastes and smells like road kill."

"So, I guess you're not going to want to go out tonight after the game." Tom hinted.

"I don't know. I'm tired. But what's going on?"

"I haven't heard about anything much. So far, just some lame party that Anderson's trying to pimp."

"Ugh. Not even." Connie rolled her eyes. "We could go to the drive-in. I'm up for that. Maybe we could double with…" Connie thought pensively. "Tom, our friends seriously need better social lives. There's no one to double date with!"