Strides & Bike Rides

~But I promise you this, I'll always look out for you~Coldplay

Chapter Theme Song: 'Sparks' by Coldplay

°°

Rainey

The cool evening sun casts shadows on the ground as we walk down the street in the direction of Crossview Close. The wind is cool and brisk, but the orange glow of the setting sun gives the atmosphere warmth.

I glance over at Ansel, who has his hands tucked inside his pockets while we walk. The wind rustles through his bouncy hair, and his focus seems elsewhere. It feels awkward for us to walk in silence, so I break the ice.

"So uh, I didn't know you worked. I thought you were the 'spoon-fed' son."

His face lights up with a smile, while he turns his head to meet my curious face. "Don't listen to a word Alex says. He thinks with his joint."

I shrug. "I kind of felt that way though. I can't say I didn't believe him."

He arches a perfect brow. A curious expression etched on his face as he maintains eye-contact. "Why?"

"I don't know. You seem different from him..."

His focus returns ahead. "What if I'm not?"

I tilt my head to the side. His question flows my thoughts back to the day I saw him at the town's Police Station. I am yet to discover why he was there ushering that injured boy to the car. There were also three other boys there as well, one looking exactly like him.

Is he apart of a gang or something?

The sudden sound of a honking horn pulls my attention to a car racing in our direction.

I didn't realize I was this close to the road, and Ansel grips my arm and pulls me over to his side. My chest bumps into his, as the speeding car scrapes the sidewalk during its passing.

"Be careful." He mutters.

I bring my eyes up to look at him. His height is an obvious contrast to my short stature. His palms are on my shoulders and our faces are less than an inch away. His gaze is fixed on the disappearing car before he brings his focus down to look at me.

As soon as our gazes meet, my cheeks flush. I blink my eyes as I pull away, averting my gaze elsewhere.

"You okay?" Ansel asks. Concernment is laced in his tone as he attempts to catch sight of my crimson face.

I nod, but I can't bring myself to look at him. Not until my cheeks return to their normal shade.

A car comes to a stop at our feet luckily, diverting Ansel's focus to the winding window.

"Hey, beautiful people!" Alex grins at us from behind the wheels, splaying an arm over the passenger's seat while he peers out at us.

"Alex? What are you doing here?" Ansel looks confused at his brother's sudden appearance.

He literally came out the middle of nowhere.