35. Reconciliation

Hermione sat opposite Narcissa in the small drab café of St. Mungo's. Her mouth was dry and her hands were held firmly in her lap to hide her shaking. Narcissa sat elegantly, watching Hermione with her head cocked slightly and a small smile playing on her lips. She looked so strange in her glittering black dress and her perfectly sleeked hair sitting under the harsh fluorescent lights.

"So, Hermione," Narcissa began, not removing her gaze from her for a second, "why are you here?"

Hermione tried to swallow the lump in her throat before glancing down at her hands and replying, "Well, uh, Draco wanted me here."

Narcissa sat back in her chair and smirked, "Am I mistaken in thinking that Draco broke up with you? Again."

Her words pierced Hermione's heart, but she chuckled nervously "Yeah, he did."

"Well then, Minister, why are you here?" Narcissa's playful smirk had disappeared and been replaced by a menacing frown. Her eyes remained locked on Hermione's; like she was searching for a weakness.

Hermione was biting the inside of her cheek furiously as she held Narcissa's gaze to stop her entire body from shaking all over. Her heart still hurt from the part Narcissa had played in her heartbreak, but her head was slowly winning. She was a smart witch, and she would, no longer, allow Narcissa to frighten and intimidate her, especially over her blood status. After all, Hermione had proven time and time again that she was just as intelligent, if not more, than any Pure Blood wizard.

Taking a deep breath and relaxing her face, Hermione spoke steadily and firmly, "You're right, Mrs. Malfoy, Draco did leave me. But he also asked for me to be here, specifically."

Narcissa's eyes glittered with the challenge Hermione was presenting, but she was impressed. Finally, the daft little Mudblood was growing a spine, but she was going to push her further; to see how devoted she was to Draco. Raising her eyebrow and giving Hermione a half smile she spoke "Ahh, yes. He's always been so charitable. Spending his time with the less fortunate."

Hermione replied, the lump in her throat now returning with anger, "Charity? Forgive me, Mrs Malfoy, but your son was the one pursuing me. In fact," she let out a small chuckle, "he begged for me back."

The conversation had turned so quickly that it almost gave Hermione whiplash. One minute, Narcissa was glaring at her, her eyes filled with pure hatred and now, she sat opposite Hermione, hand over her mouth trying to control her sudden fit of laughter. Hermione watched as Narcissa's cheeks flushed elegantly with her laughter. She could tell that this was the first time Mrs Malfoy had laughed in a very long time.

Eventually, Narcissa's laughs ended with a polite cough but she continued to smile warmly at Hermione, something Hermione had never seen before. Looking down at her hand as she played with a beautifully encrusted ring on her finger Narcissa mused, "That's always been like Draco, no subtlety at all." She then looked up at Hermione solemnly, "I'm sorry Hermione."

Hermione was dumbfounded. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened, "Wha-"

"Please don't make me say it again." Narcissa chuckled, "My pride is already damaged enough as it is."

Still shocked, Hermione's mind floundered for words. She glanced around the café, before replying, not very convincingly, "Oh, uhh it's alright."

Narcissa studied Hermione for a moment and held her hands together in her lap, "No, it's not Hermione. I really ruined things between you and Draco." She sighed, her eyes seemed to be filling with pain, "I saw the way he looked at you and it frightened me. I was the one who forced Draco to stay. I was the one who threatened him if he didn't leave you."

Hermione still in shock but she stayed silent; she could tell that Narcissa had more to say. She took a deep breath and continued, now looking down at her hands in her lap "I was idiotic to think I could convince Draco to stop loving you. I know that I don't deserve it, but I hope, one day, you will forgive me."

Hermione watched as Narcissa glanced around the room, refusing to meet Hermione's gaze. Hermione finally broke the silence, "Thank you, Mrs Malfoy. You have no idea how much I appreciate this."

Narcissa finally met Hermione's gaze and smiled warmly at her, "Thank you for looking after my son." She stood up, swiftly and elegantly, and held out her hand to Hermione.

Hermione studied it for a moment before smiling back and standing up, taking Narcissa's hand in truce. Narcissa spoke gently, "I need to leave, but please, don't leave him here alone. Even if he's asleep, I can't bear that thought."

Hermione winced and nodded her head, knowing and feeling exactly how Narcissa felt. Narcissa gave Hermione one more sweet smile before turning and walking away, her beautiful, glimmering dress swishing purposefully around her ankles.

Hermione sat down and slumped deeply into her chair exhausted; it felt like she had just run a marathon. Her hands no longer shook but her heart still beat furiously against her chest and she could feel sweat beading on her forehead. She could not believe what had just happened; the face and voice of her nightmares for over a year now apologising. She leaned forward and laid her head down on the cold, hard table. Just another story to tell Draco when he woke up.

Draco.

Hermione shot straight up, mad at herself for forgetting why she was here in the first place. Without another thought she walked as quickly as she possibly could back into the waiting room, throwing a quick smile at the receptionist who had peered over the top of her desk to make sure Hermione had survived. But as she turned the corner to walk down the corridor to Draco's room, she heard heavy footsteps running towards her and the sound of a voice that made her skin crawl and her hair almost frizz with anger.

"Hermione!"

She stood, frozen on the spot, her hands balling into fists at her sides. She could here the voice getting and then stood right behind her, panting and out of breath.

"Hermione."

Her lip curled with anger and it felt like a bolt of electricity shot straight into her heart. Balling her fist tightly, she turned on her heel and swung, hoping that her punch would land right on target.