Chapter 1.

"Charli!!" I hear my mom's voice call from downstairs. I groan to myself and roll out of my tiny, yet comfortable bed.  While neatly tucking the corners of my bed sheet into the headboard, I take my time because this is the last morning that I will be competing the task for months.

"Charli!!" She calls again.

"I'm up!" I yell back. The cabinets open and close downstairs, the sounds of her frantically preparing  breakfast. The knot in my stomach grows with each step to the bathroom, by the time I start the shower, it's nearly unbearable. I spent the last few years nervously anticipating college. My weekends were spent studying and preparing for this day while my peers were out getting drunk, wasting their time and jeopardizing their futures. The day my acceptance letter to Washington State University came I was thrilled, I expected it but that didn't take any of the excitement away. My mother cried for what felt like hours, and I have to admit I was pretty proud of myself. All my hard work finally paid off. I had once considered leaving Washington for college but eventually decided against it.. I like familiarity and routines just like my mother.

The hot water loosens my strained muscles, how long have I been in here? I hurry and wash my hair and body, lazily running a razor over my legs to remove the small stubble that has appeared over the weekend.

As I wrap the towel around my wet body, my mother calls my name again. I ignore her, I know she is nervous for my arrival day at college but I have had this day planned down to the hour, for months. My boyfriend Chase will be here soon to ride with me and my mother. He is one grade younger than me and for hundredth time I mentally scold his mother for putting him in Kindergarten a year late. Chase keeps a perfect grade point average, he is brilliant and will be joining me at WSU next year. I do wish that  he was coming now, especially considering that I won't know a single person at college. I just need a decent roommate, that's the only thing I am asking for.

"Charli D'Amelio!"

"I am coming down now, please don't call my name again!" I yell as I walk down the stairs.

Chase is sitting at the table across from my mother, dressed in a blue polo shirt and khakis, his normal attire.  His brown hair is combed and lightly gelled to perfection.

"Hey college girl," He smiles a bright, perfectly lined smile while standing to pull my into a tight hug.

"Hey," I give him an equally bright smile and pull my hair into a bun once he releases me from his grip.

"Honey, we can wait a couple minutes while you fix your hair," My mom says quietly, running disapproving eyes over me.

I make my way to the mirror in the hallway and nod, she is right. My hair needs to be presentable for today, and of course she did not hesitate to remind me. She never does.

"I will put your bags in the car." Chase offers and picks up the keys from my the table. With a quick kiss on my cheek, he disappears from the room.

The butterflies in  my stomach dance around as I walk to the car, at least I have two hours to make them disappear. I have no idea what college will be like, will I make friends?