Chapter 67

Chapter 67

One of the hardest things for Lyv to have to do was stop her attempt in trying to find a cure to save Bence. It was after she'd filled the infirmary with smoke and had to push open all of the windows with her sisters' help before they all choked on the fumes. Somehow, once the room was cleared, they found themselves laughing, Bence especially, and couldn't stop until they were all in tears.

"I think everything you try is getting worse and worse by the minute," Bence grinned, though his voice and breath rattled in his chest. "But I have to admit watching these attempts is definitely entertaining."

"Well, they're not supposed to be entertaining," Lyv coughed as she waved her hand in front of her face and squinted at him. "They're supposed to try and find a cure."

"If you don't kill us all with the smoke and fumes first," Rhea snorted.

Those tears of laughter quickly changed to ones of heartbreak when Lyv, Ada, Sora, and Rhea all realized what it meant. Bence was the only one who was calm and level-headed about it, merely giving them a smile of thanks and so full of love he didn't even have to tell them aloud. The only thing Lyv could do for him now was make sure he was comfortable.

And comfortable he was, even with all of the children crowding into the room, jumping on his bed, talking so quick they all had trouble understanding. They knew there was something wrong with their grandfather by the look of his blackened skin but didn't realizing he wasn't going to be with them anymore very, very soon. The older ones knew something was wrong, though they still acted as if it were just another day.

Elys was the only one who was quiet around him, though he was more than willing to sit next to him on the bed whenever Bence asked to speak with him. And Bence wanted to talk to him alone without anyone. Lyv, of course, went down the short hallway to what used to be both her and Gideon's rooms to wait until she heard Bence's faint call for her to come back. They were both smile when she reappeared moments later.

Now, a little over a week had passed since the remaining citizens of Escarral made the journey from their now darkened lands into the safety of the land they'd once been at war with. With the help of sorcerers and sorceresses of Eld and the generosity of Thia's father, they were all housed in tents that were more luxurious and spacious on the inside than their previous homes probably were. Staying on the Branvon estate lands, they were treated with Roshan, Erly, and even Bridget's dragon Chesnan when he finally made his appearance. Of course, all three of the dragons loved being around everyone and showing off, which at least put smiles on their faces and echoes of laughter around.

As for the Escarrali royal family, they were taking to their temporary home in palace. The screams and laughter of all of the kids – who all absolutely adored Alexea and especially loved her hugs every morning and night – was a constant sound and definitely a welcomed one. Lyv's sisters and brothers-in-law were more subdued, though they loved getting to know Jai's family more.

Ada had taken to her role of a queen in a foreign land giving her people aid. Usually, she and Gyver could be found with Emmeric and Alexea in the council room, going over the now completely red map of Escarral, visually showing a complete loss. They were strategizing how to make sure Dalcaine didn't fall to the same fate, though there had yet to be a threat against it. From what the Dalcaine and Blackloch ships stationed in the area were dispatching, there was no movement from the shores of the darkened Escarral. It was only a matter of time, though.

Lyv, Jai, and Elys had taken to staying in the rooms by the infirmary, along with Gideon, Thia, Allel, and Mik. All of them were so exhausted from their hectic days that they usually fell asleep as soon as they curled up in bed. The three of them usually wouldn't wake up until the sounds of Gideon and Thia arguing over what to make for breakfast finally made it through their door, followed by Allel's laughter and Mik asking if the mates they were watching were always this way.