Hallowe'en trolling

Harriet started awake.

"Get up! Get up!" Pansy was shrieking in her ear. "It's all hallows eve!"
"That doesn't mean I have to start it with a headache," Millicent grumbled.

"I think it's nice that she's so excited." Amina smiled. She was sitting cross legged on her bed and reading.

Harriet shoved on her glasses. Ugh, they really needed to be cleaned. "We still have classes today, so how about we get to those first and then celebrate?"

"You're such a spoil sport!" Pansy pouted. "But okay. You have a point."

A groan sounded from the other side of the room.

"What's with Elizabeth?" she asked.

"Don't feel so good," came the reply, muffled by pillows and blankets.

"We'll let the teachers know." Harriet said.

"Thanks."

After a delicious breakfast and two other classes, came Charms. It was more difficult than it sounded. Especially for those of a more logical thinking pattern.

Pansy, who happened to be amazing at charms and feelings, usually didn't have much trouble. Neither did Granger, surprisingly. Hermione Granger, like Harriet, had a more logical thinking pattern, but she did have an annoying way of managing to channel one specific emotion befitting the spells.

The two girls were sitting at a table, happily chatting away. They'd really warmed up to each other after the Neville incident. Harriet was seated at a table with Ravenclaw student Theodore Nott. They had an understanding and were both friends of Draco's.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too -- never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest."

It was very difficult. Harriet and Theo swished and flicked, but the feather they were supposed to be sending skyward just lay on the desktop. Theo tried one last time before they gave up. 

"Think endless frustration counts as an emotion?" Harriet joked.

"Well, it's technically several emotions at once so, maybe too emotional?" Theo suggested waving his wand.

"Fascinating." Harriet said robotically.

They chuckled and resumed glaring at their feathers. Behind them, Hermione's feather rose elegantly off the desk. Pansy congratulated her enthusiastically. 

"Oh, well done!" cried Professor Flitwick, clapping. "Everyone see here, Miss Granger has done it!"

On the way back to the common room, Harriet grumpily walked past Ron and his friends.

"Parkinson's a nightmare, honestly. I don't see how anyone can stand her. I feel sorry for her house!" was what she heard. Her blood boiled. She made a mental note to get him back someday. It was only lucky Pansy wasn't here.

Someone knocked into Harriet as they hurried past her. It was Pansy. 

Harriet caught a glimpse of her face .

She was in tears. 

Harriet stormed past Weasley shoving him to the ground and hopefully leaving some bruises.

Pansy didn't turn up for the next class and wasn't seen all afternoon. On their way down to the Great Hall for the Halloween feast, Harriet overheard Millicent telling Amina that Pansy was crying in the girls' bathroom and wanted to be left alone.

The great hall was decorated beautifully with hundreds of bats flying above and silver spun cobwebs under the full moon, shown by the great hall's ceiling enchantment. Harriet spent a moment admiring everything. In the distance she thought she could hear a wolf howl.

Harriet was just helping herself to a baked potato when the door flew open with a bang. Professor Quirrell came sprinting into the hall, his turban askew and terror on his face. Everyone stared as he reached Professor Dumbledore's chair, slumped against the table, and gasped, "Troll! Troll - in the dungeons - thought you ought to know."

He fainted.

There was an uproar. People were screaming. A Gryffindor leapt into a Ravenclaws arms. The Ravenclaw dropped them and ran around in circles. It took several purple firecrackers exploding from the end of Professor Dumbledore's wand to bring silence.

"Prefects," he rumbled, "lead your Houses back to the dormitories immediately!"

The prefects sprang into Action.

"Follow us! Stick together, first years! No need to fear the troll if you follow our orders! Stay close behind us, now. Make way, first years coming through! Excuse me, I'm a prefect!" Higgs snapped, shoving through the crowd.

"How could a troll get in?" Harriet asked Draco as they followed Higgs.

"Don't ask me, they're supposed to be really stupid," said Draco. "Maybe Peeves let it in for a Halloween joke."

They passed different groups of people hurrying in different directions. As they jostled their way through a crowd of confused Hufflepuffs, Harriet suddenly grabbed Draco's arm.

"I've just thought -- Pansy."

"What about her?"

"She doesn't know about the troll."

"Harriet..." He looked unsure.

"We should tell her!"

"Harriet, there is a troll in the castle!"

"But-"

"Harriet,  no! It's too dangerous!"

"Harriet, yes!"

Ducking down, Harriet joined the Hufflepuffs going the other way before Draco could react.

She slipped down a deserted side corridor, and hurried off toward the girls' bathroom. She  had just turned the corner when she heard quick footsteps behind them. She threw herself behind a statue. It was Snape. What was he doing here.

"What are you doing here?" A voice hissed behind her.

She looked back to find Hermione Granger.

"Warning a friend, Granger. You? Thought rules and regulations were your middle names?"

Hermione flushed. "The same. It's just not right not to!"

A rotten stench filled Harriet's nostrils. She wrinkled her nose.

"Say, do you smell that?"

—————————

So, this has more chapters than the original story. Lol.

Anyways, Who's your favourite character so far? Who do you want to punch the most?

Thanks for reading, hope you will continue to enjoy and please let me know your thoughts and feelings!

XOXO, Drachma