Chapter 17.

"Why are you asking me this?" She glares right back.

"I don't know.. because I have been nothing but nice to you and you are always rude. I thought we could be friends" How stupid does that sound. my hand pinches the bridge of my nose and I wait for her answer.

"Us? Friends?" She laughs. "Isn't it obvious why we can't be friends?"

"Not to me"

"Well for starters you are too uptight, you probably grew up in some perfect little model home that looks like every other house on the block, your parents probably bought you everything you wanted and you never had to want for anything. With your stupid pleated skirts, I mean honestly who dresses like that at 18?" She says and my mouth falls open.

"You know nothing about me! My life is nothing like that! My alcoholic dad left us when I was ten and my mom worked her ass off to make sure I could go to college, I got my own job as soon I turned 16 to help with bills and I happen to like my clothes, sorry if I don't dress like a slut like all the girls around you! For someone who tries to hard to stand out and be different, you sure are judgmental" I scream and she balls his fists. I feel the tears prick my eyes and turn around to wipe them before we notices.

"You know what, I don't want to be friends with you anyway Max" I tell her and reach for the door handle. The vodka has made me brave causing me to scream at Max.

"Where are you going?" She asks. She is so unpredictable and moody.

"I am going to the bus stop so I can go back to my room and never, ever come back here again. I am done trying to be friends with any of you"

"It's too late to take the bus alone"

"You are not seriously trying to act like you care if  something happened to me" I laugh. I can't keep up with her.

"I am not saying I do.. I am just warning you. It is a bad idea"

"Well Maxxy, I don't have any other options. Everyone is drunk, including myself" I say and the tears come. I am humiliated that Max out of all people, is seeing my cry, again.

"Do you always cry at parties?" She asks with a small smile.

"Apparently, since these are the only parties I have ever attended," I reach the door again and open it.

"Charli" She says so soft that I almost don't hear her. Her face is unreadable. The room starts to spin again and I grab onto the dresser next to her door. "You okay?" She asks. I nod even though I feel nauseous. "Why don't you just sit down for a few minutes, then you can go to the bus station"

I nod again. I walk back out and once again she calls my name. "You can sit in here.. I guess" she says and lets out a deep breath.

"I thought no one was allowed in your room?' I ask her and sit on the floor.

"It won't happen again" she snaps. So she is back to herself. I hiccup and a small smile plays on her lips. "If you throw up in my room.." she warns.

"I think I just need some water" I say and move to stand up.

"Here" she says, handing me her red cup. I roll my eyes and push it away.

"I said water, not beer"

"It is water, I don't drink" she says. A noise between a gasp and a laugh. There is no way Max doesn't drink. I don't remember her taking a drink from the bottle of vodka, but still? "Surprised?" She asks and I nod.

"You're not going to sit here and babysit are you?" I really just want to be alone in my drunken state. I am starting to feel guilty for yelling at Max. "You bring out the worst in me" I say aloud, not meaning to.

"That's harsh." She says, her tone serious. "And yes, I am going to sit here and babysit you. You are drunk for the first time in your life, and you have a habit of touching my things when I am not around." She says and takes a seat on her bed. I grab the cup of water and take a drink, I can taste a hint of mint on the rim and can't help but think about how Max mouth would taste. God, I am never drinking again. I remind myself as I sit back down on the floor.