↘︎ chapter forty-four

44 | Sweet little play

GEORGE POV

George Weasley was known for making pranks and jokes with his twin, but not that he could go out with a girl and have a serious relationship. It's been almost six months since they started dating, and then something happened that slowly and secretly broke his heart. He, Fred Weasley and Marley Potter had a really tough fight in the end of May.

They hadn't spoken to each other for nearly three weeks, constantly quarreling with one another and looking at each other as if they were sworn enemies. And George now, more than ever, wanted to take the time back and fix everything. His brother was tough and he could endure being angry with Marley longer, but not George. He definitely couldn't, not after spending the last six months with her, but as something completely different from just friends.

Both would always love Marley, but George didn't love her the same way his brother did, but differently. While Fred longed to just joke with her, George also wanted to hug her, kiss her .... he had changed a lot. He felt so strange now, as if he had forgotten his nature as a joker, and Fred was also angry at the idea.

"Mate, stop think about her." said finally Fred. "But while looking at you, I still wonder if Marley was our friend after all, did she lied that she liked the joke shop the whole time?"

"She liked it." assured his red-haired twin George. "Don't ask me why I'm so sure. I just know."

"Then why had she to say that? If she hasn't noticed yet, it really hurt us." stuttered quietly Fred. Both twins were going down the stairs to the Great Hall for dinner. Tomorrow was Saturday and they didn't have to worry about getting up early in the morning. "She knows it's our dream and still said it."

"But we also affected her, calling her responsible, weak and innocent." added George. "Why don't we just go and apologize? Please, it's a torture for me."

"I know, I want to. But no." Fred shook his head and red hair sticked out in every direction. "We should wait Marley to say sorry first. Believe me, I can pretend I'm mad at her much longer than her."

"So, you admit you're not mad at her!" exclaimed George and smiled for the first time in three weeks. After they had this quarrel with Marley, he was uncapable to smile. But if he does, it was fake. And now this smile was real. "Told you, Fred. We love her too much to be mad at her."

"In fact, any of us didn't really mean the things we said to each other that day." shrugged Fred carelessly but also grinned toward his brother. And then they heard a familiar voice coming out from the corridor above them. It was coming down. Two pair of footsteps.

"Like the idea of their joke shop. To be honest, I truly adore it and I think it's the best idea they've ever had." too familiar girly voice echoed in the corridor. This voice belonged to Marley Potter. "But they said some things that hurt me and I just used their idea to hurt them, because I knew it would. I hope they didn't mean it too."

George's heart skipped a beat. So, she not only liked their idea, but adored it? Why did it sound so much in her style? George smiled weakly and looked at Fred, who seemed a little surprised at her words.

"Of course they didn't," spoke another voice, also familiar. Noen Black was with her, her childhood best friend. "Look, M, I'm sure they didn't want to say all that stuff about you. They were just probably angry about something and had to spill out theit anger on someone. And the first person they saw was you. They hardly wanted to hurt you, I promise."

"Don't promise impossible things, Noen." said Marley. George remembered this sentence as a clear day. She had said this to him in the day of the Second Task, taking place in 24 February, four months ago. In the times where everything between them was good and there weren't stupid quarrels.