~Twenty Eight~

~Uthman~

Jade was absent from school on Monday. Michelle huffed when she saw her empty seat.

'Look who missed school, it's the bitch. She had better not resume at all. I can't even stand her.'

'Get a life Michelle'

One of our classmates replied to her. Michelle was about to answer when our teacher walked in. We had Economics. We were done with almost all our syllabuses and all we do now is to revise.

I heard nothing throughout the class. I kept glancing at Jade's seat. During the lunch break, I met Akin and Hana eating in the cafeteria. I and Dan joined them, Hana did not even acknowledge my presence.

'Hey babe, you're okay?' Dan asked her and she shrugged.

'I guess I'm supposed to be fine.'

Dan was about to say something else when someone pulled out the chair beside Hana. It was Michelle. Hana hissed under her breath.

'Where is your bestie? Is she cowering at home as usual?'

Hana ignored her.

'I'm talking to you, half-caste.'

Hana puffed and dropped her spoon.

'I heard you, I just choose not to answer you.'

'Of course, What do you have to say? You guys lost gallantly.'

'Cut the crap, Michelle. I won't sit here and listen to you speak down to Hana.'

Dan replied to her and she scoffed.

'Oh, you're picking her side. I've been friends with you longer than her and you're supporting her.'

Hana hissed, stood up, and carried her tray.

'You know what? I lost my appetite just listening to you.'

And she left. I watched her drop her tray angrily on the zinc. Dan glared at Michelle before he followed Hana.

'Well, someone just ruined the whole lunch thing for us.'

Akin said and left too. I avoided looking at Michelle, afraid my face will betray my emotion.

'I knew it was going to come down to this the moment Dan started dating Hana.'

I did not reply to her.

                                  ~Jade~

I feigned a serious headache on Monday morning so I wouldn't go to school. I knew mom did not believe me but she choose to leave me alone anyway.

'So, are you still going to skip school till infinity?'

Zee asked me on Monday evening. I was already plotting what excuse to give to skip school the next day.

We were both in my room, watching Power on my laptop.

'No, why are you asking?'

'You don't look like someone who wants to attend school tomorrow.'

I rolled my eyes.

'I still have a headache.'

'hmm, the headache that was never there in the first place.'

I laughed.

'You know, nothing is ever solved by you walking away or running away. You have to face it head-on.'

I heaved a sigh and laid back on my bed to stare at the ceiling.

'I know. It just that....'

'No No, no comma. You're stronger than this. You're going to school tomorrow, no excuses.'