Chapter 13 - Back to Town

Taking one of the independent keel boats was the best way to get to the city where Patience's uncle lived. Hopefully, Rud could get Patience and the boy on one of those boats after it left the town.

Rud remembered the promise he had made to their mother. He would deliver them to their uncle and then come back home to an uncertain future. It would kill him to do it, but he would make sure they arrived safely.

Rud needed to know what was going on and if people were still looking for them. He also needed to find out when the independent boats typically left the town. He decided he would take the mule as close to town as possible, come up with some disguise and see what he could find out.

Patience agreed but stated he did not need a disguise. If he cleaned up a bit, no one would recognize him. Rud bathed, and Patience cut his hair short. Although he did not have much facial hair, Patience shaved his face for him. She smiled seeing a handsome young man looking back at her, rather than the rough woodsman she knew. He would leave his sling, big knife, and hatchet at home and instead take one of the pistols for protection.

Rud would purchase a new shirt, pants, and boots. With an old wood-frame pack on his back, he would look like one of the recent arrivals making their way down to the cities. The next morning Rud left before dawn and instructed Patience if he was not back in four days to go to the partially completed hideout and stay there.

Before he left, Patience wished him luck, then reached up and kissed his cheek. Rud tried to act like it was nothing, but the boy wasn't fooled and laughed at his sister. Patience smiled and kissed Rud on the cheek again, holding his arm a little tighter this time. Rud tripped as he turned, and Patience chuckled knowing full well she had caused his sudden clumsiness.

Without the cart, the ride to town went much quicker. Rud purchased new clothes, hobbled his mule in a secluded meadow, then walked the last two miles into town. He bought a couple of apples at the trader's hut and was surprised when the person he purchased produce from as they escaped the town said, "It is good to see a nice young fellow pass through." He even gave Rud an extra apple and wished him fair weather for his journey.

Rud walked into town and towards the dock. It was early summer and the boats were taking advantage of the higher water from the spring rains and making as many trips as possible. 

There were not many men on the streets, and no one seemed to notice Rud. He made it down to the dock where Patience's father had been killed. It seemed like business as usual with boats loading and unloading. The warehouse was open, and he could see men working inside. Trying not to look too much out of place, he asked one of the boatmen returning from the warehouse if he knew how much passage was to the first city upriver. The man mumbled something like, "I don't set the rates; I just push the boat" and continued walking.

Rud turned back towards the store where he had bought the coat and vest. Rud froze, the shopkeeper's daughter was walking straight towards him with an alarmed look on her face. She grabbed Rud by the arm and pulled him into the alleyway next to the store. She said, "What are you doing back here? You know they have a wanted poster out for you?"

Rud replied, "You told them, didn't you?" "No," she said, "I told them you were a boatman who had just bought a new coat, and I heard you tell the boy you were taking him to your boat upriver. Mr. Billings' brother was behind the whole revolt. He has moved into their house and has taken over all of Mr. Billings' businesses."

She told Rud, "The rumor is he wanted the children dead so there would be no one left to dispute his claim. He bribed a judge to accept the testimony of one of his men who said he had been on your boat, and the boy and girl drowned trying to escape. Their uncle was very mad as you messed up his plans. He had already paid off the boat captains you killed, and they were not easy to replace. He went after all his competitors and the independent boats too, he controls them all now. He has hired men still watching the river for you, or what I described as you. They are still looking for the boy and girl too."

"What happened to them?" the shopkeeper's daughter asked. Rud, thinking fast, said, "The story you made up was partially right, I put them on a boat heading upriver. The rich girl said her uncle lived in a city upriver and would take them in. She would not hear otherwise." Rud continued, "If it is the same uncle, it sounds like I delivered them to him. I guess I stuck my neck out for nothing. You said they were looking for someone like me on the river?" The shopkeeper's daughter chuckled and said, "No, the description I gave was not like you, especially now."

Rud thanked her for her help and for not giving him up. She responded, "It wasn't right what they did, and it was just for money. Too many people look the other way these days. It was good to see those men get what they deserved for once. Killing a woman and trying to kill the children? I wish you had also killed their uncle."

Rud asked if there was a doctor nearby, and the shopkeeper's daughter said, "Yes, just down the street." Rud thanked her for her help. She wished him luck, then said, "My name is Sarah. It was good to see you again, but it would be best if you did not come back this way." Rud thanked her again and walked out of the alley toward the doctor's office.

* * * * *

The doctor told Rud his fee and said it had to be paid upfront. Rud said, "Its about my brother," as he counted out the money the doctor required. The doctor responded, "I still get paid the same," as Rud handed over the money. Rud told the doctor he had promised his mother he would ask about his brother's illness when he got to a town. Rud needed to keep up the appearance of being just another traveler.

"My brother is twelve years old, and ever since he saw our father crushed by a tree, he hasn't said a word. Well, he talked right after when he yelled for help, but not a word since. Rud said his brother seemed fine, happy at times, and worked as hard as ever. He just doesn't talk."

The doctor asked how long since he talked, and Rud said it had been a couple months. The doctor asked a few more questions, then leaned back in his chair. He told Rud it probably was not a physical illness, but hysterics from seeing his father die. He said not much a doctor can do, sometimes the person will come out of it and start talking, and some never speak again. Rud asked if there was anything he could do to help his brother. The doctor replied, "No, just be kind to him."

Rud asked if the doctor could write all that down so he could send it to his mother. Rud said it would mean more to his mother if it came from a real doctor. The doctor pulled out some paper and wrote what he had told Rud. Rud thanked him and left with the note.

Rud would have been able to tell Patience what the doctor said, but it may be difficult for her to accept all he had to tell her, including that her uncle was behind the revolt and killing her parents. With the doctor's note, there would be no question about the boy's condition.

Even though the shopkeeper's daughter, Sarah, had helped Rud by giving a different description and misleading everyone on where he had gone, she was still a town person, and town people could not be trusted. He better find out for himself before taking this story back to Patience.

* * * * *

Sarah had said the uncle was living in Patience's old home. Patience had talked a little about her father's house. She had said it was the biggest in town and among several other large residences along the river. Rud remembered the direction her father's wagon had come from, so it should be a simple matter of following the river in that direction.

Rud passed a row of shops, and even though Patience had told him not too, he picked up a few of the supplies he knew Patience needed. Nothing big, just small items like thread, herb seeds, more cups, and other things that would easily fit in the pouches attached to his saddle. Patience did not have many personal items, just what she had in her pockets when Rud rescued her. So when Rud saw a hair brush and hand mirror in a store, he had to buy it for her.

Rud smiled thinking how much Patience would enjoy having a real hair brush and mirror instead of brushing her hair with an old horse brush while looking at her reflection in a water bucket. Remembering how much she liked having ribbons in her hair, Rud also bought a few colorful hair ribbons he thought looked pretty. Rud smiled and touched the spot on his cheek where Patience had kissed him. He bought something for the boy, then stashed the supplies where they would be safe.