36. "Sure, Maud. We'll treat him like a princess."

Where are my clothes?" asked Jason, frowning at the jeans and shirt Conner put out at him.

"They're not dry yet," he replied with a tight face.

With pinched eyes, Jason snatched them from his hands and closed the door. As soon as he came down, he felt Conner's gaze on himself. An undeniably hungry look.

"Why do you look like a minor?" Patrick grumbled as soon as he walked into the kitchen.

Defiantly, Jason looked at Conner as they both took a seat at the kitchen table. "Conner gave me these clothes."

Patrick's eyes got a little bigger before turned to his youngest son and looked at him asking.

"Oh, you look cute," Maud exclaimed stepping into the kitchen. "I knew those clothes would fit you."

Conner breathed a sigh of relief when his father's all-seeing gaze turned away from him. Jason looked very attractive and he felt his body react, but what could he do now that there was no excuse to hide behind?

"Thank you for your hospitality," Jason said after breakfast. "As soon as my clothes are dry, I'm leaving."

Three faces looked at him in disappointment.

"There's no reason to rush," Patrick said. "I was going to go to the sports bar with Conner to see the game. I'd love it if you came along."

Conner bit a curse. In those clothes, Jason would never agree.

"Thank you, Patrick. I think that could be fun."

With a jerk, he looked up in Jason's defiant eyes. 'What?' he thought surprised, as his body roared triumphantly. He had been given a few extra hours to be with Jason. 'Maybe at that time he could come up with a ruse to put him back in his arms. But what did that challenging look mean?'

"Are you going for the evening or afternoon game?" Maud asked.

"The evening game. Greinke v Arietta."

"So then you're free this afternoon?" Maud asked Jason.

Conner saw a slight frown appear, but soon there was a smile around his mouth.

"What did you have in mind?"

Maud enthusiastically sprung up from her chair. "My women's club always comes together on Sunday afternoon. I'd love it if you would come and tell something about your work."

"You mean you'd love to show him off," Conner said.

"Thank you for that big mouth of yours. I was looking for another volunteer to help. Looks like I found him."

Jason snapped a grin at seeing the unfortunate expression on Conner's face.

"But, Ma. Kershaw has to go up against Lester this afternoon," he whined.

"I can help, Maud," Jason offered gallantly.

"No, dear boy. You're still hurt. Conner will hear the results when he gets home."

"Don't you need to let your 'roommate' know where you're staying?" Conner snapped at him.

"That's already been arranged," Jason responded briefly. Annabel hadn't given birth yet, but as agreed, William had booked a hotel room for him. A friend would bring his stuff there. It was arranged with the faculty that Jason would take the lessons for three days after the birth. William could then choose between working or surrendering the position to a substitute.

Jason knew William was struggling with the choice. "They grow up so fast. I've barely seen the first two baby days. If I'm offered that opportunity who am I to refuse?" Jason had resolutely rejected the replacement position. "I have my own way to go," he had said. Looking at Conner, he wondered who he was kidding. The fleeting hunger on Conner's face was enough to erase any thought of leaving. "What about yourself? How long do you plan to stay?" he asked interested.