Chapter 8

Vanessa's POV:

I snapped out of my reverie and wiped my tears when I heard Tamera approaching me.

Turning to face her, I thanked her for breakfast.

"You're welcome. You loo-"

She was cut off by her house phone ringing.

Tam went to go answer it while I

Speaking of parents, I needed to tell them about my decision to get divorced.

I needed their advice. I needed my mom and dad.

Thoughts of Matthew plagued my senses. I needed to get him out of my head.

I could hear Tam's voice from my spot in the kitchen so I went to see what was the matter.

Her voice was getting clearer, the closer I was to the living room.

"-what you're talking about so stop calling."

I walked in the living room to see Tam placing the phone back on the receiver.

She had a scowl on her face.

"Who was it I asked?" Already having an idea of who it was. Why couldn't he leave me alone?

"Your slimy, soon to be ex," She replied back. "He wanted to talk to you."

"Did you tell him I was here?"

"I didn't but I'm sure he knows the truth."

"Thank you." I said giving her a grateful smile. I didn't want to think about him, it was a waste of time.

Thinking about him just puts me down.

"Why thank me, if you'd do the same?" As if sensing my mood, she suggested "How about we make muffins for Pablo's firm? They loved it when we made the cupcakes."

I smiled as I remembered the happy faces of all the workers in the firm. It made my day seeing the delighted faces of the staff as they tried the sweet treats that Tam, Alexandria, and I made. It all started when Alexandria wanted to cheer up her dad when he lost a case.

So we decided on making cupcakes and Alexandria suggested that we bring some to everyone. She was such a sweetheart.

"Chocolate chip? I'm down then."

"Alright then let's go."

Baking with Tam improved my mood. We did get a little carried away, when Tam decided to spray me with water from the sink hose.

To retaliate, I flung some of the flour in her direction.

It went on for a minute and it took a while to clean.

The muffins were placed in to-go containers after they cooled.

Tam and I spent the rest of the day relaxing. It was like our regular girls day but better.

We talked, sang, ate, and just enjoyed spending time together. It was a relief to not think about filing tomorrow.

An hour after getting into bed and settling down for the night, Tam turned towards me in the bed.

"Vanessa," she whispered into the dark room. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah." I whispered back.

"I know you're strong, but you can't face this alone. The only thing you can do is move on."

"Tam, I'm tired. Like from the bottom of my heart, I'm so tired. I don't want to do this."

"Show me the strong woman that you are and always have been.

Tears spilled down my face at her words, I really needed that.

"You're gonna have a good life Vanessa, and when you're ready the right person will come along to add on to it."

"I don't know if I ever want to fall in love again. But I want to be the best person I can be when I do."

I didn't say anything after that. Tam didn't either.

So we basked into the silence of the crisp night until we fell asleep.

Was love still an option after everything I've been through?