CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEEN | MARIONETTE

"He says it's a little tight

"He says it's a little tight. But, I believe I sized him up quite right." Yennefer winked at Caira as they watched Geralt enter the bedroom in which Jaskier was in a deep slumber.

Caira felt heat rise to her cheeks as she averted her eyes from staring at his ass. Once Geralt was far enough away, Yennefer excitedly turned to Caira and grabbed her hands. "So? How did it go?" Yen squeezed her hands.

Caira's mouth fell agape. "What?!"

"You know...the bath?" Yen raised a suggestive brow at her.

Caira gasped. "Oh my—"

"Oh, don't be such a prude! A shame isn't it? That you can't have little ones with someone that looks like that." Yennefer snickered.

"You like children?" Caira inquired.

Yennefer's happy face fell sad. "I'm sorry—" Caira began.

"No, no. I suppose I should just tell you, since it would make no difference if you knew or not." Yen sighed. "I can't have children."

Caira didn't know what to say. This was the first girl, since her sister, she felt some strange connection to. Caira sympathized with her. She wanted to comfort Yennefer. Their friendship had developed so fast, and so intimate—as Yennefer set up her and Geralt's appointment—that Caira felt like she wanted to help her in anyway possible. "I don't know what to say." Caira admitted.

"You don't have to say anything."

"Have you thought of loaning a womb? Using a surrogate?" Caira suggested.

"I don't think any woman would let me use their womb to have my children for me." Yennefer chuckled.

"What about me?" Caira spoke before she could think. Unfortunately for her, Geralt had just exited Jaskier's room and heard their brief exchange about surrogates.

Geralt clenched his jaw and he marched over to Caira. "Can I speak with you?" The muscle in his jaw feathered.

Caira's eyes widened and she gulped. She followed him around the corner, where he was to chastise her. "What is wrong with you?"

"What?" She wasn't sure why he was so angry.

"Have you forgotten? The reason why we're in this mess with Jaskier? Because I've been having nightmares about you dying in childbirth!" He whisper-yelled at her.

Caira groaned, recalling he had become restless because of that. "They're just dreams, Geralt. It's not real."

"And if it is?"

"Then that means my story wouldn't have ended with you." Caira crossed her arms, suggesting that she would've been having a child with another man, and not spending the rest of her life with him.

"And what about being a surrogate?" He retorted.

"Fine, I won't do it. For you." She pressed her warm palm to his jaw. He took in her sweet touch. Then, she left him to go see Jaskier.

* * *

Geralt hurried into the room after Caira. "We'll be taking Jaskier now." He wanted out of there. He didn't seem to like Yennefer as Caira had. She was pushing and manipulating the two since they arrived, making them bathe together and now convincing Caira to be her surrogate. He didn't like her general energy around her, he was unsure of her intentions and didn't like that, at all.

"If you wake him before he is healed, the spell won't take." Yennefer warned Geralt as he was about to lift Jaskier from the bed. "That's no way to treat a friend, Geralt."

Geralt eyed the set up of candles and symbols drawn with salt on the ground. The symbols sprawled out through the room resembled the symbol on the seal of the vase the djinn had came from. "You want the djinn, but the amphora's broken. The djinn's already long gone." Geralt informed her, unsure as to why she seemed to be trying to summon the djinn using this somewhat familiar ritual.

Yennefer sighed. "Do go on. Tell me how stuff works. The djinn is tied to this plan and it's master. How many wishes did the bard express before he lost his voice?" She hissed at him.

Caira took a seat on the edge of the bed, watching as Jaskier practically drooled in his deep slumber. She envied his deep sleep, she hadn't slept well in months. Every inn they stopped at had horrible beds, but, perhaps it was the royalty in her speaking—she had been spoiled with the luxe life.

"You need Jaskier to make his last wish so you can capture it." Geralt spoke his thoughts aloud.

"So that's...two, then?" Yen hummed.

"The djinn will fight you. If you try and bend it—" Geralt began, but Yennefer began to walk toward him, her eyes fixated on him as Caira wasn't paying attention. Caira mindlessly ran her fingers over the texture of the silky comforter that laid perfectly over the bed.

Yennefer used her magic to entrance Geralt. Geralt choked on his own breath, straining against the scent Yennefer was creating with magic. "That...scent." Geralt grunted as he restrained himself from relishing in the oh so familiar and intoxicating scent. "Lilac and..."

"Gooseberries." Yennefer finished for him. "Her scent." She nodded over at Caira, who was still lost in her own mind as she traced the stitchings of the covers on the bed.

"No wonder you can't seem to get enough of her. Her scent, it drew you to her in the first place. It's tough to get in your head. You have a strong will, but you can't contend with me." Yennefer maximized her efforts to making the scent as potent as possible. The smell of Caira overwhelmingly filled Geralt's nostrils, it was ecstasy. His mind ran wild and he used every ounce of strength in him to keep control of himself. "I'm sorry I wasn't direct. But I do love a good old fashioned trap." Yennefer winked as she waved her hand and Geralt's eyelids grew heavy. His body felt heavier and his knees grew weak as he felt his body shut down into a slumber. Quickly, his body thumped to the ground as he instantly passed out.

Caira looked like she was in another world as she slowly turned around, with a euphoric smile plastered across her face, to look at a passed out Geralt on the floor. Alarm didn't raise in her mind, as she was under Yennefer's influence. In fact, she had been under Yennefer's influence the moment they stepped into the mayor's manor. She had peaked Yennefer's interest, being of high nobility and all. Caira could have been useful to Yennefer, plus, she had done her a good deed by influencing her to finally make a move on Geralt. Without her toying around with them with her magic, they would've spent another decade in that awfully boring, platonic relationship.

"Come on, love. Help me drag him out of here." Yen ordered Caira, who was still in an enraptured state. Like a marionette, Caira obliged and stood to her feet, grabbed ahold of Geralt's feet and dragged him to the gaol. Then, quickly returned to Yennefer's side.

_________________

authors note | if you plan on rereading or read more in the future PLEASE point out any grammar/spelling errors because I haven't been rereading and editing as I go. Thank you so much for your support :) - Romana