21

••••••

••••••

The sound of knuckles hitting against the wood jolts me awake. The pen and journal that was on my lap slips off to the ground as I move forward in shock.

My eyes travel up to a sleepy Klaus, who's leaning himself on the doorframe. "Did you sleep here all night?" he asks and I nod, yawning in the process.

"Yeah," I tell him, picking up the items that fell. I stand up from the rocking chair that's located in Hope's abandoned nursery. "I, uh, couldn't sleep so I was writing in this journal." I raise the book to show him before tossing it on top of the dresser along with the pen.

Honestly, I stayed in here because I was scared I would fall back into relapse if I were to sleep on that bed. It just reminds me of that week of pain and sorrow I went through.

When my parents died, Elena got me into writing in our diaries and it helped for awhile until I stopped. Recently I started writing again, except this time it's for my daughter.

Klaus stands up straight and extends his hand out. I gracefully accept it with a smile and he pulls us back into our bedroom.

He stops us and places his hands on my cheeks, cupping my face. "You know I love you, right?"

A smile tugs on my lips, "Of course I know that," I then break our eye contact and look down at our intertwined fingers. "I just—I miss Hope and I miss..."

"You can say his name."

I look back up at Klaus and exhale a breath. I search his eyes for any source of anger or anything that resembles his hatred for this certain person knowing that it's a touchy subject when it comes to Klaus, but there wasn't any.

"It's not just Damon, Klaus. I miss Bonnie too. I didn't even get to say goodbye to either of them and it's—" I cut myself short as tears threaten to spill. I blink, hoping to get rid of them and I turn away from Klaus.

I hear him sigh next to me, our fingers almost separating until he pulls me back and now I'm facing him again. "Don't turn away from me. Please."

"I don't know what you want me to say." I shrug and my eyes travel down to the floor. "Look at me," he says and I don't budge until he grabs my face once more, "look at me."

His eyes bore into mine, deep lines appear on his forehead as every hint of worry and concern washes all over his entire face. "I watched you, Maya. I watched you fall down the wrong path and I cannot let that happen to you again."

"Klaus—"

"Maya, over the years, I've had my share of friends, enemies, lovers, losses, and triumphs. With time, they all begin to run together, but you will find the real moments are vibrant. The rest just fades away. Your pain will fade."

I smile sadly at his response, pulling him closer to me. My arms wrap around his torso and my cheek rests on his chest. "Thank you, Klaus, for everything." I whisper, my voice barely audible and I pull my head back to look up at him, "I mean it."