40. All Work And No Play

Evan

I had a lot of work to do tonight. A Chinese delegate was coming tomorrow to visit our company and I had to make a presentation to persuade them for a deal tonight. It seems like I would have to spend the whole night working.

I was lost in these thoughts when the door to my room opened and Scarlet walked inside. She waited for a minute or two, assessing me with her keen eyes and then made her way to the closet to change. She put a lot of efforts in the dinner today and she looked disappointed when I left the dining table early. But what could I do? The deal is far too important for me to lag around.

My whole focus was on the laptop screen when I heard the sound of soft footsteps coming from the closet towards me. I momentarily lifted my head to look at her and when I did, my whole body froze.

Scarlet was standing in front of me in her little satin nightie without any sign of the gown to cover her, her hair ruffled messily and a reddish tinge on her cheeks. I tried to tear my eyes away from her plunging neckline but failed badly. The look in her eyes told me that I was in trouble.

"The room is hot today." she said and flopped down on the bed.

Nodding, I forced my eyes back to the laptop screen because I still had a lot of work. I couldn't let myself be tempted tonight, if that's what she wanted to do. The focus had broken now, the words on the screen felt like small insects moving around.

From my peripheral vision, I enjoyed the sight of her silky, smooth legs, sprawled against the white bedsheet. The desire to feel her legs wrapped around me aroused a part of me to full glory and I shifted in my seat to hide the uncomfortable bulge.

I cursed under my breath and tried my best to keep my focus on the presentation. No, not tonight. If she was trying to push my buttons, it was a very wrong time to do so. I need to work, I need to work.

I got up from the bed and moved to my study desk which was the safest option for me as she would have out of my vision range. The laptop screen strained my eyes and I blinked few times. The shifting proved helpful and I succeeded in bringing my focus back to my work.

I was busy with the laptop when I heard some movement behind me. I angled my neck and watched Scarlet who was walking slowly towards the window. She had a shawl wrapped around her bare arms and she looked somewhat disappointed. Sliding the curtains away, she tightened the shawl around her and started looking outside through the glass window.

Her displeased face soured my mood. I never deliberately hurt her but I always end up doing something that made her disappointed of me. She was too pure to get hurt like this. I don't know what sin she committed in the past to be ended up with someone who couldn't make her happy.

Letting out a huge sigh, I shut the laptop and slowly walked behind her. She must have noticed my presence but she didn't say anything. Her light brown hair looked radiant and I controlled the urge to smell them. If I remember correctly, her hair smell like vanilla and cocoa powder, so does her hands.

"Don't you feel hot anymore?" I asked and stepped closer so there was very small distances between my front and her back.

"No," she replied in a dry voice. I leaned my head to look at her face which was slightly clenched.

I pulled my arm forwards and rested it on her small waist. "What happened?" I whispered.

"Nothing." She replied, even more dryly.

"Scarlet." I muttered her name to gain her attention.

She took a step forwards, freeing her waist off my gentle hold. "Nothing happened, Evan. I guess I'm just stupid to think you'd notice me."

It shocked me to hear what was going inside her mind. So she thinks I don't notice her? Does she really think she was someone who could be easily ignored? Wish I could show her the parts of me that thinks otherwise.

Sighing again, I rested my hands on her shoulders and turned her around. Widening her eyes, she frowned at my action. She looked really cute when in anger; her mouth formed into a pout and her button nose slightly scrunched upwards. She was right when we first met, she really had a baby face that makes her look like a teenager.

I gently gripped her wrist and brought her hand towards me. Placing it on my chest, I whispered, "I don't know if you can feel it but my heart is beating really fast." Her gaze switched between my face and her hand on my chest. "That's what you do to me, Scarlet."

She gulped hard and her mouth parted slightly. Her brown orbs pulled me in towards her, like an invisible thread, making me inch towards her slowly. The innocence of her eyes was magical and it made my heart pound against my ribcage.

I brought my hand to her cheeks and caressed her smooth skin. At this, she closed her eyes and slowly leaned into my touch. This moment was perfect; nothing else existed right now. I have felt like this before, with Eliza. All these feelings were familiar but the reason was different this time, it was Scarlet.

I snaked my arm around her waist and then lifted her face by holding her chin. Her lips looked really inviting and I knew I wouldn't stop until I had tasted them again. Lowering my head, I slowly attached my lips to her soft ones.

My heart stopped beating for a minute as she responded to the kiss with full fervour. We angled our faces to facilitate the contact of our tongues which seemed to have a mind of their own. I pulled her even more closer to increase the friction between our lips.

I felt her arms around my neck. Her eagerness excited me and all the blood of my body rushed south. To stop her from accidentally discovering my 'excitement', I changed our position and pinned her against the wall, maintaining some distance between our body while our mouths sucked the souls out of each others.

We kissed for what felt like an hour, hard at first, slow later on. Our breaths mingled together as we explored the nook and corners of other person's mouth. Her kisses made me feel different, as if I was dead and now in heaven.

When we were too tired of standing, I picked her up in my arms and took her to the bed. We lay down side by side, our bodies interlinked together. She had a shy smile on her face, her face red like a tomato because of the long make out session. I kissed her again, this time on her forehead. Her eyes filled with a strange emotion at this and she lifted her head to kiss me again at my lips. Her passionate kiss led me to a wonderful sleep, making the thoughts of work disappear from my mind.

______________________________

I'll be officially back on Thursday. Tomorrow is my last day of rotation and it would be safe to say that a part of me died somewhere. :p
The past two weeks were sort of a realization for me. I was taking my time for granted but now I understand that the life of a doctor is really tough and I might have to take many difficult decisions in the coming years. This year before my internship is a heaven and I'd make the most out of it.