Chapter 4

All I could do was toss and turn in my bed, to scared to close my eyes in fear that I would be meet with yet another nightmare. It seemed like every time I closed my eyes there was something horrible waiting for me in the darkness, ready to attack as soon as my guard is down. I turned my head to look over at my alarm clock.

2:37 AM.

I sighed, frustrated that I couldn't just have dreamless sleep, desperate to close my eyes and relieve the exhaustion that plagued me. I got up and hauled my tired body into the bathroom, glancing in the mirror as I did. I looked miserable. Dark circles lining my red sleepy eyes and my hair lay in messy waves on top of my head.

I bent down to the sink, turning on the cold water and slashing it into my face. It was refreshing but shocking and uncomfortable at the same time. I felt something itchy on my temple and instinctively smacked my palm against my face. I glanced at my hand to find a smashed spider laying in my palm. Frantically, I shook the bugs corps off me and rested against the sink leaning in to examine my face closer, but there was nothing there, no blood, no tiny bite marks, and most importantly no more spiders. Thank god.

I looked down into the sink as I began to let out a breath of relief but quickly stopped. Crawling out of the drain of came another spider. It's body small and black, it's legs long and grotesque. Then another and another and another until the sink was crawling with them.

I screamed sprinting to the door to make an escape. As my hands met the cold copper knob I realized the handle wouldn't turn, as if someone was holding it still from the outside. I looked back to see more and more of the disgusting bugs making there way out and across the counter.

Panic took over by body and I viciously yanking at the door with all of my strength, pounding on it with my fist, screaming for my father to come save me. Terrified, I looked back to see the bathroom was covered in spiders. I began to claw at myself, feeling as if they were all over me, crawling on my body underneath my clothing, crawling around my hair and into my mouth.

I dropped to the ground clenching my eyes shut praying for help. "Poppy what's wrong?" I heard my father yell from the bottom of the stairs. I couldn't answer him, I could only cry, loud sobs escaping my chest. "Get off me, get away from me!" I screamed, clawing so hard that my skin began to bleed.

I fell backwards as the door was yanked open. I quickly got up ripping at my clothing and hair still trying to get the feeling off of me. "Poppy, stop! What are you doing? What happened?" my father yelled grabbing my arms and pinning them to my sides, trying to prevent me from injuring myself any further. "There everywhere, there EVERYWHERE!" I screamed shaking in terror.

"What are you talking about?" he replied sounding worried and confused as he struggled to keep me still. I slowly pried my eyes open to see that all the spiders where gone, not even one in sight in the room that had just been filled, "They were just there" i cried nodding towards the bathroom. "I'm not crazy they were just in there." I sobbed gripping the collar of my dads shirt, pleading with him to believe me.

"Alright darling. It's ok, I think your just tired. Lets lay down, yeah?" He said slowly leading me to my bed. He set me down and covered me up stroking my hair to comfort me as I continued to cry. My body was exhausted, I couldn't keep my eyes open, not even if I tried. "I'm not crazy, they were really there." I sniffled once more. "It's ok, it's alright love." Were the last words I heard before falling into my first peaceful night of dreamless sleep.