4: jessy

Comment & Vote pls :)

Jessica

"How do you think your parents would react to your success if they were still here today?"

It took a few seconds for her question to register.

'If they were still here.'

They're gone. Dead. Tears sprang to my eyes. They passed away due to the Boston Bombing in April, 2013. Everything was still fresh in my mind.

It hurt so bad.

"I-I'd rather not answer. I'm sorry," I spit out, looking down at my lap.

She seemed to understand and told me softly that she was sorry for my loss and for asking that question.

"But I hope they're as happy as I am," I end up saying.

After that, the interview was over and I escaped back to the trailer with Robbie.

"Are you okay, Jess?" He asked, not having heard the interview.

I nod. "Yup, I'll meet you back out here in a second."

He simply nodded, but I saw his eyebrows curve downwards in concern.

"Hey, Mere, where's Lucy?" I ask. She left her son home with her husband in LA. She brought her 4 year old, Lucy, with us here in London.

"She and Harry went off to play outside. Let's clean this up," she said and gestured to the clutter of makeup and clothes on the couch.

Another thing about Harry that made him even more attractive, was his love for kids.

Lucy adored Harry, and he adored her.

"What's up Jess? You seem down."

I shrug. "They asked me a question about my mom and dad."

Meredith stopped zipping up one of the bags and faced me, the same concern on Robbie's face was now on her's. She had also lost her parents years ago.

Her mom died of cancer and her dad commited suicide shortly after. It all happened five years ago, but I know it still haunts her.

She pulled me into a long embrace.

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."

I urged myself not to cry. It didn't work.

"I miss them so much."

Meredith smoothed down my hair and shushed me quietly.

"I'm sure they're so proud of you, Jessica. They raised such a lovely young lady."

I pulled back and wiped my tears.

"You and my mom would've been such good friends," I tell her.

Meredith smiles at me. "If she's anything like you, I'm sure we would have."

My throat burns and my eyes are still blurry. I hated crying with a passion.

She pulled me in for another hug. I don't remember the last time I'd cried. Maybe last April when it all happened and I got the news.

I was sitting at home with my grandma at her house. My parents had been preparing for the marathon for weeks. I still remember how happy they were and how often they would talk about it.

Grandma and I both heard the news at the same time and neither of us spoke. For hours we expected a phone call of some sort, my parents saying they were okay, but we never got one. That was when I lost it. The next month, my grandma died as well. She was buried next to grandpa. I've never given myself time to heal.