Chapter 4 - Familiar Stranger

Inkopolis Square was about to get shrouded in the darkness of the upcoming evening, but Plum was not coming home too soon. Since Calder proposed that the OctoSquids and Inkling Brigade team up, he has spent more time with Moray, which also meant that Douglas would be much closer than before, watching his every move. Plum did not really mind that much, though. He was sure that Douglas would soon grow to be more trusting, not only towards him, but towards Moray as well.

Plum and Moray came out of Deca Tower after another fun game of Turf war.
"I should've seen that Autobomb coming!", complained Moray a bit, making Plum chuckle.
"I thought you said it didn't matter who the winner was, as long as we had fun!", said Plum to her.
"You were playing dirty! You kicked an Autobomb to my face! You have to admit that was foul play!", she replied as she looked at Plum, waiting on him to agree with her. Plum ended up laughing.
"Okay, so maybe I did have a little fun with that one.", he told her, admitting his little act of mischief. Moray then punched Plum in the arm.
"I knew it!", she complained again as Plum continued laughing.

They both stayed completely silent for a few seconds as they made their way toward the Crust Bucket for a few drinks. Plum asked for a Main-Up Guava and Moray for a Speed-up tomato. After getting their drinks, they began to walk off toward Moray's house.
"So where did you learn to do that?", Moray asked.
"Kicking an Autobomb at someone's face?", Plum asked in confusion. "I don't think that's too hard to-", he tried to continue, but Moray interrupted him.
"No no, not that!", she said as she giggled. "I meant, where did you learn to think on your feet? You always seem to know what to do at a moment's notice."

Plum's eyes widened in realization.
"Oh!", he muttered.
"I mean, you did save me from Tenta Missiles yesterday." Moray told him, calling back to his little stunt, making him blush a bit. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided to say nothing. "Well?", Moray asked again.
"I...don't really know. Maybe I inherited that from my parents.", he began. "My mom was a really good player in Turf Wars, and my dad is a retired Octarian soldier. I think that's where I got it from.", he answered to Moray's question.

"Wow, that's interesting.", pointed out Moray. "I'm friends with the son of two veterans.", she joked as Plum chuckled a bit.
"Yeah, but even after they retired, they are still really cool.", he said with a proud smile. "Couldn't have asked for better parents.". Moray smiled sweetly at Plum, knowing that he really cared about his parents. Then, a question formed on Moray's head that really interested her.
"How did they meet?", she asked him, making him look at her with confusion as he sipped on his Guava. "I know it's a pretty personal question, but I'm curious.", she said to him.

Plum began to think whether he should answer that question or not. Eventually, he had an idea.
"I'll do you one better. I'll show you!", he said as he grabbed Moray's wrist and pulled her along a separate path, catching Moray off guard, but giggled anyway.
"Okay?", she chuckled as she tried to follow Plum. Eventually, she realized that they were both headed up to the top of Mount Nantai. Moray surely was wondering why Plum was taking her there, but kept himself from spoiling the surprise.

Eventually, they both made it to the top of the mountain, and through the trees, Plum lead Moray to a clearing near the edge of the mountain, made more beautiful by the starry sky of the night. Moray looked at the scenery in front of them, which was pretty wide in open space. A river was flowing at the very bottom of the mountain and, on the other side, was another, smaller mountain, with the peak resembling an octopus.
"Wow... It's beautiful...", she muttered as Plum smiled, then approached the edge and sat down. Moray sat down next to him soon after, still sipping on her drink.

"Before my mom met my dad, she found some history books telling about the Great Turf Wars.", Plum began to explain. "By then, she didn't know that Octarians even existed and, filled with curiosity, she decided to go to the only place she knew she could find one.", he continued as he pointed at the smaller mountain. "Octo Valley...", he said. He then decided to stay silent for a bit to let Moray process the story for a few seconds. "Over there is where she met dad, when the Octarians were still enemies with the Inklings.", he continued. "For many, Octo Valley is a reminder of where Octarians came from. From conflict, hatred, vengeance... To me...", he said as he wandered off in thought, then smiled proudly. "It's a sight to behold."