↘︎ chapter forty-five

45 | The Trio returned, so did Voldemort

The night was coming, the sky was lit up with stars, and everyone was gathering around the Quidditch pitch, where the final Task of Triwizard Tournament would be held. The whole pitch was overgrown with a large hedge, at least six meters high, forming a maze. All the Champions were here, and all three schools were sitting on the benches to watch.

Marley Macmillan was sitting with Mrs. Weasley, Bill and Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. She had no idea where Fred, George, Angelina or Lee were, but that didn't concern her now. After what happened earlier today, Marley preferred not to see the twins. Just the fact that the three had to pretend everything was okay made her feel worse. Yes, it was pretty suspicious that Marley wasn't with Fred and George, who was obviously her boyfriend, and instead she was with Mrs. Weasley and Ron.

"Where are Fred and George?" asked Ron, who must have taken up the topic so that he could turn the attention to Marley. He knew very well that the three were still quarreling, but his mother thought it was over. The three had been in these tense relations for a month, and it seemed to be the longest in Marley's life. Why did Ron have to pour oil into the fire?

"I don't know." shrugged Marley without looking at the Weasley family. Her eyes were focused on the four Champions - Cedric, Krum, Fleur and her half-brother Harry. The boy with round glasses and untidy messy black hair this time looked more confident in his abilities.

"I thought you were with them." Mrs. Weasley said, turning her bright brown eyes to Marley.

"I lost them in the crowd." lied Marley. "There were too many people here and I couldn't find them anywhere, so I came here."

"You sure everything's okay with you and them?" questioned the red-haired short woman, now concerned about Marley, maybe because she fakened her smile way too much. "I didn't expect George'd fall for you, but still, is he threating you okay? You seem so sad the whole day."

"And month." mumbled Ron under his nose and Marley angrily hit him in the ribs. Mrs. Weasley heard her son and sadness ran through her face.

"DID MY SON BROKE UP WITH YOU AND NOW YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING IN FRONT OF ME?!" she shouted, her ears were fuming and red. "DID HE HURT YOU, SWEETHEART? I SWEAR, IF HE DID SOMETHING, HE'S GOING TO MEET MY BROOM IN THE SUMMER."

"No, Mrs. Weasley, it's okay. George and I are good. We're good." she was in a hurry to say that, wordlessly thankful for the support she was receiveing from Mrs. Weasley. But she didn't want to worry her at all. "No one did anything stupid. Neither Fred, even if it's hard to believe."

"But I thought--" Ron opened his mouth and started talking, but Hermione nudged him, making him shut up. She looked at him cautionary but Marley rolled eyes off them, without paying attention on Ron.

"Are you sure?" she repeated her question. "You can tell me if there's something bothering you. It's never too late to punch my sons where sun doesn't shine. The twins have always been so restless, and they often do stupid things, hurting others. And they don't even realize it. I just don't want you to suffer. Because going out with one of them is quite a challenge and you need an iron will."

"Mom, leave them alone." laughed Bill, finally joining the conversation. "I don't know Marley very well but according to Fred and George's words (and Ron and Harry's), I know she is a strong girl and know how to handle two naughty twins. Why do you think sometimes they are actually responsible?"

"You have a point, Bill, my dear." Mrs. Weasley slightly nodded with her head and Ludo Bagman's voice echoed in the Quidditch pitch. "Now focus, your crush is playing."