Chapter 20 - The Promise

Rain in the valley meant no hunting or cutting wood, so Rud caught up on work close to the cabin. The homestead – this was the first time Rud had thought of the cabin as a homestead – was in pretty good order. With the food plot, animals, and outbuildings, he had to admit it looked like a homestead now. As Billy and Rud worked, Billy asked about moving into the hideout. Billy said he was almost thirteen and did not want to share a bed with his sister forever. Billy had matured fast, but Rud didn't think he was ready to live on his own.

Rud agreed he should have a bed of his own, though, and would think of a solution. Rud knew he and Patience would eventually marry, and the current living arrangements would need to change. Billy knew Rud was planning on marrying Patience, as Rud had asked for his help on a secret project toward that end.

Rud and Billy were away from the cabin often as they hunted and collected firewood. What they did not tell Patience was they were also scouting spots in the creeks where they could pan for gold. Rud had never found enough gold in any of the creeks to make it worth the time and effort to collect. But for this task, he only needed a small amount.

An excellent time to pan for gold was after a heavy rain passed through the valley, and as the rain pounded the cabin, Rud hoped he would soon have the gold he needed. In the meantime, he was slowly creating a pattern in some scrap iron for the object he intended to make. Rud had never tried this before, but if he could melt then cast the gold into the basic shape, he could then work it into its final form. His creation may not be as pretty as store-bought gold, but it would be from their valley.

They would visit Bessie and her granddaughters about once a month. It was an easy trip, and both Patience and Billy enjoyed getting out of the valley for a day. Rud would hunt for fresh meat to take to Bessie and take his tools to do whatever repairs were needed. Billy and Alice would pair up as soon as the work was done and walk around Bessie's property talking.

Billy would show off, and no matter whether he succeeded or not, Alice would always act impressed. When Rud was that age, the other kids would have made fun of a boy and girl acting that way. But with Billy and Alice, it appeared to be the most natural thing in the world.

The older granddaughter, Martha, was just a few months older than Patience. Martha, Bessie, and Patience typically stayed in the house or sat on the porch, talking, while they shelled the peas or beans Patience had brought. Rud could tell Patience was enjoying herself.

Sometimes the ladies would laugh and look over at Rud, who, when he was not working, was in his usual spot under the big shade tree. Rud had to be careful to not look too comfortable, though, or else Bessie would find something for him to do. Patience would bring him something to drink from time to time to make sure he knew he was not forgotten.

Bessie had a wealth of knowledge on living in the wilderness, and Patience was eager to learn. Bessie knew what wild plants were edible, which to avoid and which could be used as medicine. Bessie helped Patience with making bread, which, as Patience learned, the problem she had been having was due to Rud purchasing the wrong type of flour.

Patience had made candles before but Bessie showed her a better method. Patience also learned to make soap, which Rud had to buy or trade for in the past. And Patience used Bessie's recipe to make the goat cheese Rud and Billy liked.

Bessie would always come to see Rud late in the afternoon to thank him for the food and for the work he had done. Bessie enjoyed having them over and enjoyed being Grandma to all of them. She sometimes made comments that Rud thought was her way of telling him to get off his backside and marry Patience, but Rud was not going to be rushed.

It was autumn in their valley, and the trees were losing their leaves. There was still work to do to get ready for the snow and winter trapping, so now was not the time to marry. In the spring, Patience would be seventeen, they would have a year together, and it would be time.