Chapter Forty-two

On the designated time, Lady Rachel Mondeschein entered the rigorously polished room with a disdainful face, but the moment she saw Beth, her face froze before softening. She walked across the room and to her side.

Beth had changed out of her usual maid uniform and was in a satin blue dress that opened at the elbows and had chiffon sleeves that billowed out and was, of course, followed by lace.

She sat next to Elias, also dressed in a blue suit, and on her other side was an empty seat for Rachel, I suppose, and across from them sat the three choices of heir: Silas, Tobias, and the dark horse, Eugene. Augustin and Valentin also sat on the opposite side.

Mister Kupka, us maids, as well as three of the valets: Phillip, Rudy, and Matheus, were also in the room, but we stood on the sidelines watching.

"Elizabeth—" Rachel walked over to her, and seemed to tear up. "Have you been fine, living here? Have any of them done anything to you?"

"I'm already grown up, I can take care of myself," Beth replied calmly, and in a way, maturely, her chin held high and unaffected by how Rachel was obviously worried for her.

"Have you been eating three meals a day?"

"Yes!" Beth looked embarrassed as she stood there, still focusing on her, bending down to talk to her like she was a child.

"Did you run around and fall and injure yourself? Do you still sleep with those dolls? And what about—"

"I'm fine!" We all looked at Beth. Her cheeks were flushed. Rachel inspected her carefully.

"Fine. I'll get off your case, then. I hope that working as a maid has allowed you to learn the importance of listening to your elders and being respective to those—"

"Please, do get off my case already!" Beth begged. Then suddenly she turned to Elias. "Look, doesn't he look like Mummy?"

Elias stiffened, award of the pair of eyes on him. Rachel inspected him carefully before giving a small nod.

"Elias Beardsley. I was supposed to be your godmother too. Pity your father never let that happen."

Elias didn't reply.

Rachel took off her coat and hat and Mister Kupka promptly arrived at her side to receive it, and then she took her seat and then looked at the men of Beardsley, sans Olive, sitting in a row before her. Olive was too young to know—or care—about such matters, so he was playing somewhere with Harper.

"Thank you for coming today, Rachel Mondeschein," Silas started, folding his gloved hands at the table, seated before her. "I hope it wasn't too tiring of a journey. Would you like some tea?"

"Don't thank me," Rachel spoke, her voice hard like when Tobias and I went to see her. "I didn't have a choice. And no, I'm not here for tea. I'd like to make this meeting as short as possible and then bring Elizabeth home with me." Beth made a face but didn't interject.

"I'm sorry for what happened," Tobias said without a trace of sincerity. Rachel gave him a look. Silas continued.

"I apologize for the manner Tobias did things, Lady Rachel, but as you said, things are better done as fast as possible. Regarding that subject, do you know why Father left his will with you?"

"How would I know?" Rachel suddenly had on a scowl. "I always despised that man, and warned Judith against him, but she went and defied her family's wishes and married him anyway."

"Another thing—what proof is there that the will is legitimate?" Silas challenged. Rachel didn't back down.

"We shall see if the letter has his stamp or not, then."