Chapter 30 - Broken and Bruised

I stood above myself, I wasn't real, my body wasn't my body, I had left it, a corporeal form looking down at my blood soaked figure that was curled underneath the tree the demon wolf thrashed me against. I had shifted back to human form, the bruises and cuts so easily seen on my fair skin, my human body, so vulnerable, so frail. I searched my surroundings, the trees lay still, not a whisper of wind, the dark shadow that would see my end was no where in sight. The only things that moved were Taylor and Eric as they rushed across the river to where Keith lay still, the definite snap and the loud crack all too fresh in my mind. 

I watch as Eric screamed to the heavens as he clutched Keith's head to his chest. Taylor took off and covered the distance between us in a few breaths, falling to knees at the sight, unsure whether he should touch me. I was unable to console him, unable to explain what it is that happened, he looked lost, afraid, I wanted to ease him but my touch did not register when I rest my hand upon his shoulder. 

"If only I could save you from what is yet to come" the words were true yet hollow as the bounce around the silence. 

"You still can" the voice I had always heard deep within me now sounded from behind me. Whirling on my feet, she stood before me, not the wolf that took over but the woman that chose me become the next Infinite White. Poppy Aranda, her white hair fell long and her green eyes glowed brightly in the dark night. 

"So you're the one I hear in my head" I greet her, before turning back to Taylor, though the world seemed to now still. No movement or sound came from my surroundings, it was just me and Poppy. 

"I've been with you since the moment you were born, waiting for the day that you would need me" she walked up beside me, warmth radiated off her, a power so strong and intense it made my body shiver. 

"So you knew this would happen?" I asked, the words coming out accusing, needing someone to blame for what has happened. 

"No, but I knew you were destined to great things. I've always been with you, but only recently has my power woken within you due to the threat you face" her voice was even, she wasn't made I accused her or angry I got myself in this position. 

"No longer" I sigh, turning my eyes from Taylor back to my body, crippled and fractured underneath the night of the tree. 

"You are not dead, Lily, not yet. I have withdrawn your consciousness so I may speak to you as Poppy and not the wolf, the animal you know." I turn to face her, her eyes piercing mine, all emotion I felt from her gaze, overpowering, I almost crumble under the weight of them. 

"Why?" I ask, steadying myself, 

"The demon wolf is not easily beaten, but even I thought you would put up more of a fight than that" a heard a hint of amusement in her tone and my blood started to boil, 

"I didn't ask for this, Hunters are one thing, but this, this is something new entirely and wouldn't be my problem if you hadn't decided to chose me to impart your soul upon". 

She turned away from me, "These events were not started by my doing, nor am I the reason the demon wolf has arrived. Fate chooses our path even when we wish to defy it, just like it chooses our mates, your destiny is to face the demon wolf, but it is up to you to bring his end" 

"Then why am I unable to beat him?" I ask her, covering the distance between us I grab her shoulder and force her to face me, 

"Because you do it alone" her words were hard and stern, "You have taken the responsibility for protecting the pack from the hunters and stopping the demon wolf upon your shoulders. You carry this burden alone from your fear of others being hurt or punished for you decisions. You need to let your pack help you. If you had help tonight, maybe that boy would still be alive" my heart faltered as I fell a few steps back, I turn towards Keith, the image stilled on Eric cradling his baby brother in his arms, clutching him to his chest, his tears frozen on his cheek.