39

TRIGGER WARNING: use of homophobic slur

Josh and Ian were standing by the elevator when Fox and I finally walked away from Micah. Fox's hand was tightly clasped in mine, his expression tense as he slammed the button for the elevator. We only had a few minutes to go upstairs and put our skates away before we had to be at dinner, but just the elevator ride felt like an eternity.

"What did that asshole want?" Ian asked as the four of us stepped into the elevator.

I debated on telling them, mostly because of Josh. Once he found out about everything Micah said, he wouldn't leave me alone. However, I knew I had to call my dad, and I wouldn't put it past him to make the seven hour drive all the way up here.

"Let's just get to the room," I muttered, Fox slamming the button to our floor.

We were quiet as we made our way back to the hotel room, but once the four of us were inside and the door was shut, Josh turned to me with a stern expression.

"What's going on?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

I sighed, sitting down at the end of the bed as Fox leaned against the wall and looked down at me.

"I have to call Dad," I told him, fishing my phone out of my pocket.

Josh sat down beside me with a look of worry.

"What's going on?" he repeated more urgently this time.

"Dave and my mom are here," I admitted, looking down at my phone.

There was no use keeping it from Josh. He would find out once he saw them and it would be better if I gave him a heads up.

"Shit, Elijah," Josh cursed, letting out a heavy breath.

"Is that bad?" Ian wondered in a confused tone.

"Yes, it's bad," Fox snapped.

Ian gave him a look. "Chill."

I ignored them, dialing the phone for my Dad. He picked up right away which was quite on brand for him.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Dad asked.

"Mom and Dave are here," I told him.

"At the tournament?"

"Yes."

He was silent for a few moments as if he was trying to register what I had just said.

"I can take a few sick days," he finally said. "I'll take some sick days and go up there."

"You don't have to do that," I said with a sigh.

It wasn't like I felt as if I was in danger with them being here. It was uncomfortable and I didn't want to have to see either of them, but I doubted Dave would be punching me with so many people around.

"It's fine, Dad, really," I assured him. "I'll stick with Josh. We might not even have to play them."

"I'm going to call your coach," Dad said in an even tone. "I'll let him know the situation."

"Okay."

"I love you, Elijah," he said. "Call me tomorrow, okay?"

"I will," I replied. "I love you too."

Once I hung up I noticed all eyes were on me, and I couldn't keep mine from drifting over to Fox. He stood against the wall, his eyes filled with concern and his hands in fists.

"We should head down to dinner," I told the guys, standing up from the bed.

Fox groaned and heaved himself away from the wall. "I don't want to."