Chapter 41

Blair and Kate ran against the crowd, trying to make their way to the service stairs to change into their suits

Blair and Kate ran against the crowd, trying to make their way to the service stairs to change into their suits. Blair had lost sight of Jason and Bruce during the uproar caused by the pink poppy dust Ivy had spread over the crowd while Harley jumped from vine to vine before wreaking havoc on the ground.

They were halfway to their exit, when Jules grabbed Blair's free arm, tugging her closer, "Blair! Where are you going, we need to leave!"

Blair looked over her shoulder at Kate before taking her arm out of Jules' grip, "I'm helping get everyone out, just go! Don't worry about me, I've got Kate."

"But-"

"Go find Matty and Ben and get out of here." She insisted. Before Jules could open her mouth, Kate was pulling Blair into the crowd. She looked around, trying to find some sign that showed that Jason and Bruce had made it out, only seeing a sea of panicked partygoers. She shouted over the roar to Kate, "Bruce and Jason got out didn't they? I didn't see them leave."

Kate pulled her into the kitchen, just as the last person ran out, "I don't know, but we don't have time to check. Change."

Blair wanted to argue, but thought the better of it as she opened the freezer to find her suit. If Bruce and Jason were caught in the wave of people trying to leave and were stuck with Harley and Ivy, then it was down to her and Kate to put a stop to it all. Shaking the worries from her mind, she flipped the latch on the case.

********

Blair walked silently with Kate through the eerily silent ballroom. Neither Jason nor Bruce had shown up yet, a sinking feeling festering in her gut. She stepped over an unconscious man that looked a lot like Matty and Ben's dad. A closer look told her that the man didn't just look like Anthony Truman, but he was Anthony Truman. She knelt down, taking his pulse to make sure he was still alive. Not everyone had made it out of the event, when she looked up, she saw more bodies scattered around the floor.

Mr. Truman shuddered when Blair's fingers touched his skin. He opened his eyes for a moment, calling out for his father, before he passed out again. Blair looked over at Kate in surprise. Neither one of them had seen Ivy's poppy dust do something like that before, "Batwoman, there's something else happening here."

"Maybe it's not her usual mix?" Kate shrugged, helping Blair to her feet.

They continued to walk, seeing Ivy's back towards them, Harley nowhere to be seen. Blair was about to cough when she saw Jason sprawled out on the ground. She couldn't stop herself as she rushed to his side, completely forgetting the reason she was there and who she was. She didn't even notice Bruce and Selina nearby— she only cared about him.

She ignored Kate calling for her to stop as she knelt down next to him, shaking him awake, or so she thought. His eyes opened, though when they landed on her it was like he was seeing right through her as he called out, "Uncle Ray?"