Chapter 99 - Face to Faceless

Scott drives up next to Lydia's car where Malia and I are waiting with her. Once he parks we all get out of our respective cars and meet in front of the jeep as I question Scotty "Liam okay?"

Scott nods, offering a comforting smile "He's going to go to school."

I jerk my head back, stammering out quickly "I'm sorry what?"

Lydia shares my same look of freaked out confusion and Scott looks between us and over to Malia, who shrugs at him, before he answers "Yeah, told him he needed to be like Clark Kent and pretend like nothing happened."

I gape at him, shaking my head like he's insane "Like nothing– Scotty, he was wolfed out in front of who knows how many people and roared at them with his teeth bared in case it wasn't apparent enough that he wasn't a full human," I take a calming breath and try to get him to see where I'm coming from "Nolan already had the balls to stab Corey in front of other students so what– what the fuck do you think they're going to do to Liam?"

"They won't do anything to him because no one has proof– I mean it was nighttime and who's to say that anyone saw anything," he concedes and starts to walk towards the tunnel entrance.

Malia turns and follows him as well, though they both stop when they don't hear Lydia and I following them.

When he looks back over his shoulder at me raising his brows in his silent question, I mutter just above a whisper "Even you don't believe that, Scotty."

A flash of understanding crosses his features before he releases a breath and lifts the corner of his mouth as he takes those four steps back towards us "Look, he is taking Brett and Lori's death really hard..."

"We all are" I correct and he shakes his head "We are because they were great kids who didn't deserve that– but we didn't know them like he knew them," I nod with that and he continues "We're trying to save lives, which is why he needed to go to school and pretend like nothing happened– because if he doesn't go, more people could die."

I jerk my head back, the worry never leaving my voice "And if Nolan and whoever gave him the idea to test Corey decides to test Liam in school, in daytime with all those prying eyes?"

Scott shakes his head softly "What happened to my ever positive sister who could always look on the bright side when we attempted to be hopeful for something bad not to happen?"

Without missing a beat I deadpan "I felt two innocent people be run down in the middle of a street confirming my premonition that Beacon Hills is about to turn on and murder everyone I've grown to love in these last four years."

Scott softens his face, stepping up to me and setting his hands on my shoulders, reassuring with so much conviction "We're not going to let that happen, okay?"

A few silent seconds pass before I breathe in deeply, digesting his words and finally offering a nod "Okay."

Scott squeezes my shoulders and guides us over towards the entrance to the tunnels that will get us to the Argent bunker the fastest.

Chris is already waiting in the bunker when we get there and he asks us to fill him in on what happened last night with Brett and Lori, along with the traps that were set by the hunter who was after Brett.

Scott drops the lacrosse stick onto the table we're standing around once he's done with his story time "They were murdered. Killed by the new hunter in Beacon Hills."

I set my hands on the table and look over towards Chris "You know, when the hunter took out the Hellhound, we thought it was just luck– that we were dealing with an amateur. But after last night and how the traps were set in the tunnels... now we know that whoever this new hunter is, they have a teacher."