26» That Unfamiliarity

Lucius's POV
« NOW »

Something was wrong.

Something was definitely wrong with Grace and of course she wasn't telling me.

Why would she?

And I should be fine with that. There was no reason I should even care about what she was hiding from me. Her business wasn't mine.

Yet I was still helping her.

I leaned my head back against the seat, stopping the car at the red traffic signal. I hadn't slept the entire night and not just because I was the one driving.

No, it was because of her. She was right beside me.

How was I even supposed to think straight when she was right here? I didn't even know why I was helping her. I didn't even know what I was doing. I wasn't supposed to care for her anymore.

I didn't care about her.

She had left two years ago. She was going to leave again and this, any of this, shouldn't concern me.

"We're in Philadelphia, aren't we?" Grace asked, looking out of the window.

I couldn't help but glance at her again. Her soft blonde hair reaching past her shoulders. Her eyes looking around with clear interest.

I frowned and looked away. "Yeah."

"And how are we supposed to meet...Chase?" She asked, looking at me this time.

Once again, I found myself thinking why she was even looking for Chase in the first place. What was it that she needed to know so badly?

A murder.

I knew her parents were somehow involved in this—I knew that because of Wes. Wesley Montero.

"There's an auction tonight. He's going to be there." I spoke up. "We'll have to look for a hotel to stay in."

She nodded, continuing to look out of the window. Meanwhile, I remembered back to the conversation I had with Wes, when I had gone to see him in the prison.

"Why are you here, Jackson? You want yourself dead?" Wes glared at me from behind the metal bars.

I glanced over at the guards pacing around the area. I knew how little time I had before I'd have to leave.

"Not now, Wes." I spoke up. "What is it that you know about Grace? Grace Collins?"