12

"A dragon?" Ronan asked. It was dark and cold in Greenwich park.

"Yeah." I said. "Made of smoke. Or mist."

He frowned. "I can't say I've ever heard of anything like it. You sure you weren't dreaming?"

I sighed loudly. "Yes, I'm sure that I was wide awake when I saw it at uni."

Ronan put his hands up in defence. "Sorry, I was just making sure."

"Sorry." I said quietly.

"It's bugging you, isn't it?" Ronan said, seemingly amused.

I nodded. "Yeah. I feel like it means something."

"Maybe this is a stupid question, but did you try talking to it? In your dream?"

I realised I hadn't, so shook my head. "I didn't." I wondered whether the shock of seeing a dragon had silenced me, but in my dream I'd felt no inclination to talk to it.

"If you dream about it again, then maybe try that. Or if you see it lurking about in reality, try and approach it." He suggested.

I nodded. "I guess I could try." I said.

"Anyway." Ronan said. "I think its time for you to start utilising your Black Prometheum a bit more."

"Okay." I said.

I knew that when an Argent is first chosen, they don't tend to use their Black Prometheum very much as they're trying to get to grips with their element. But, Ronan had informed me that after a few years, it's important to start using it more to keep the power under control. It's not just a blade- it's able to absorb an Argent's power and store it for later use if need be, or just discard it. If an Argent feels like they're about to have a power overload, they can use the Black Prometheum to stop them from exploding.

Ronan only told me only a few weeks ago that there is a period within an Argent's life- usually the third or fourth year- where they find it hard to keep their power under control. They call it the Chaos Phase, or just the Chaos for short. It's as if the element gets a mind of its own for a short period of time, so lets itself out. Nobody really knows why this happens, especially so long after being chosen- their best guess is that it's around the time when the Argent is truly becoming one with their element, so it's stronger than it's ever been before. I thought it would make more sense to happen at the very beginning when the user has less control, but no.

I had that to look forward to.

Not to mention the fact that I have more than one element to contain. Ronan is waiting to see whether I go through the Chaos for seven times longer than usual, or if it's seven times more powerful. If it's the latter, then I'd have to be careful. If all seven elements hit that phase at the same time, I would be like a ticking time bomb.

I summoned my Black Prometheum before Ronan had to ask, so that the blade rested neatly in my hand. Of course, it immediately lit up blue under my touch.

"Do you have any experience in knife wielding?" Ronan asked.

I gave him a look. "Do I look like the kinda girl who practices knife wielding?"

Ronan shrugged. "You're about to become one." He said. "Looks mean nothing with this kind of thing."

He had a point. "Fair enough." I said.

"Okay." Ronan began. "Before we go onto the tactical stuff and the fighting, you need to become competent in using the Black Prometheum for its prime purpose- distributing your power. We should probably start with the ice, seeing as it's your strongest. If you go through the Chaos one element at a time, that's probably the one that'll come first."