Ch.8 Rumors

Chapter 8

An hour after Mavi and Owen arrived back at the hotel, it was time for them to head back to St. Rieka. Mavi packed in a hurry, not bothering to fold anything. It was a miracle she was able to close her suitcase. Adam had spent the whole day napping in his room. He grumbled the entire way to the parking lot about not getting enough rest. Liza rolled her eyes as she helped the drama queen carry his bags.

Once the three of them arrived at the parking lot, Alec and Owen loaded the car. Adam leaned against the wall with his baseball cap pulled low to shield his eyes from the light.

"Are you seriously still hung over?" Mavi snickered looking at his slumped body.

Adam responded by flipping her off. He pulled his cap off and stumbled into the car. Mavi hung back to make sure all his stuff was put away.

Once Owen closed the trunk of the large black escalade, he went around to the driver's seat. Alec jogged up to Mavi, who was standing a few feet away with Liza.

"We're ready," he said.

Liza was the first to move. She pushed off the wall and headed for the car. Alec hung back and waited for Mavi.

"Ready for classes to start?" he asked her as Mavi took a step forward.

"Yes," Mavi nodded.

"Good," Alec said.

Mavi turned her head to look at him and smiled. His dark hair was left messy today. The black t-shirt he wore hugged his body tightly, showing off his defined arms. Mavi tried not to linger on them too much.

But just as she took another step forward, her feet collided with something on the floor and she stumbled forward. Alec immediately caught her. A little shrill left Mavi's lips as she closed her eyes tightly waiting to hit the ground, but when she felt his strong arms wrap around her waist and pull her back, her eyes snapped open.

"You okay?" Alec asked in a low voice.

Mavi blinked in surprise as her heart pounded. He was so close. She was wrapped in his arms as he held her against his hard chest.

When Mavi didn't answer, Alec searched her face, "Princess?"

"Huh?" Mavi blinked.

A slow smile spread across Alec's face, "I asked if you were okay?"

Mavi nodded, not trusting her mouth to form words. Her brain was too busy trying to process how hard his muscles were pressed against her.

"Good," Alec smiled again.

Mavi swore she would develop heart condition if he kept smiling at her like that. Alec released her and took a step back. Before he could see the blush on her face, Mavi rushed to the car and climbed into the back seat. Thankfully, no one said anything about her clumsiness and they all peacefully drove back to campus.

During the ride, a few times Mavi caught Alec's eyes in the rearview mirror. She knew it was pure coincidence, but she couldn't help the way her heart fluttered. In high school, Alec was the type of guy Mavi daydreamed about all day. The ones that attended class with her never approached her out of fear of Exton....but Alec was different. Mavi could tell he wasn't the type of guy to get intimidated by her brother.

When they arrived back at St. Rieka, Adam wanted to go straight to his room. Alec helped Mavi carry her bags upstairs before heading out with Owen and Liza for some errands. Mavi stood by the doorway and watched them leave.

Adam watched Mavi. "Take a picture, it'll last longer."

Mavi turned to him and narrowed her eyes, "Fuck off."