Unexpected announcement

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for reading and I really hope that yo guys enjoy this chapter!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hi." Kermit said as he stood outside Maya and Riley's dorm room door. "Can I come in?" He asked as Maya and Riley stood there. Maya looked over at Riley who didnt know what to say.

"Why are you here?" Maya asked him. It had been years, since middle school since she had seen or heard from him. Shawn and Katy never mentioned him to her, and she never talked about him that much.

"I wanted to talk to you. I have something that I think you need to know." He said. Maya swallowed hard as her grip tightened on the door. "Riley, right?" Kermit asked looking over at Riley. Riley just nodded her head. "It's good to see you again." He said.

Voices could be heard down the hall, they got closer as they rounded the corner and then suddenly stopped once they got closer into the hallway. Kermit, Riley and Maya looked over to see Farkle and Zay standing there. Farkle had recognized who he was, and Zay suspected.

"Maya?" Farkle asked. He kept his gaze on the man in front of him. Maya still didnt know what to say. So Riley took charge.

"We'll catch up later." Riley told Maya. Maya nodded her head and Riley walked out of the room to stand beside Farkle and Zay. "We should all give them some time." She told them. Zay nodded his head and followed Riley down the hall. Farkle looked over at Maya one last time before he turned around to join them.

Maya took a deep breath and moved aside. Kermit hesitated before he stepped across the threshold and into the room. Maya shut the door and crossed her arms over her chest before she turned around to face him. She waited for him to say something, anything. She still seemed to not be able to find her voice.

"You have a nice set up here." He told her as he walked around the room for a bit. "When Shawn told me that you got into NYU, I was glad to hear that you were still with the Matthews kid." He said as he picked up a frame that had a picture of Maya, Shawn and Katy.

"You talk to Shawn?" Maya asked with her eyes narrowed. She had suddenly been able to find her voice. Kermit set the frame back down on her dresser and looked back up at her.

"Not until just recently. I called your mom to see what you were up to these days. Shawn answered the phone. I'll tell ya, if I were him I wouldn't have taken that call as nice as he did." He chuckled. Maya could only imagine what Shawn wanted to say to him. "He seems to be very nice, and real good to you and your mother. I hope he's the kind of father to you that I never could be."

"Dont worry, he's more." Maya responded. Kermit stared at her before looking at the ground and then averting his gaze to the window. "What are you doing here?" She asked him. Kermit sighed and looked back over at her.

"Do you remember when you were little?" He asked her. "And when your mother and I took you to the zoo. You were so little," He smiled. Maya felt her heart twist in pain. "Your favorite animal to look at were the gorillas. I had to hold you back because I thought you were going to try and jump the barrier to get to them. You were so cute. Do you remember?" He asked her, it looked like he had a bit of hope in his eyes. Maya scoffed.

"No." She snapped. "I dont, in fact, I dont remember really anything about you. The only thing that comes to mind is the screaming matches that you and mom would have every night before bed, and then one night the slam of the front door. And then Mom coming into my room the next night telling me that you were gone. That's what I remember."

Kermit took a deep breath and nodded his head. He shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I was afraid of that." He told her. "I've been trying so hard to think of something, anything, any good memory that you could hold on to about me." He told her.

"What are you talking about?" Maya asked. Kermit didnt say anything for a moment. He reached behind him and pulled out a white envelope from his back pocket. Maya could see faintly that it had her name written on it.

"I was going to mail this to you, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I didnt even know if you were in the same place as before. So I got a plane ticket and I came out here to New York. That's when I looked you up and got your mom's number. I called Shawn and he told me that I could find you here. I asked him not to tell you, I wanted to do this on my own. So please, dont be mad at him." He told her.

"Why are you here." Maya asked in a more demanding way. Her patience with him was wearing very thin. Kermit sighed.

"Maya, I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to get some blood drawn and some tests done. The results just came back to me a week ago. I wanted you to know, because I - well I just thought you should know." He told her. "I have stage four cancer in both lungs. I've been given six months at the most."

Maya stared at him. She felt her knees go weak, so she walked over to her bed and sat down. Kermit kept his gaze at the floor, neither of them could find the words to say right now. Maya bit her lip as she felt like her chest might cave in.

"Look, I dont expect this to fix things between us and I really dont expect us to mend things. But I wanted you to know, I felt like you should know. Carrie," Kermit stopped himself, as if he was debating he should continue. "My wife." He spoke and Maya clenched her fist, but she didnt say anything. "Her and the kids are making the arrangements. It would mean a lot to me if maybe, you would come. They are having it here in New York since this is where I grew up." He told her. "But I dont blame you if you didnt come."

Maya didnt say anything, she didnt even look at him. She could feel tears coming to her eyes. She stood up and held herself tighter. Kermit walked over to her. He placed the envelope down on the bed beside her.

"This will explain everything." He told her. He went to put a hand on her shoulder but Maya pulled away from him. She stood up and went to stand beside her window. Her back was turned to him. Kermit nodded his head. He walked to the door and opened it. He looked back at her one last time. "I am sorry, Maya." He said. Maya didnt react. So Kermit walked out the door and closed it behind him.

Only then, did Maya let the tears fall.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

thanks for reading, I hope you guys liked it. Until next time!