Chapter 46.

An obnoxious buzzing wakes me up in the middle of the night. I almost forgot max was in my room. How do we always end up together? And more importantly where is that annoying noise coming from? I follow the noise and it leads to Max's pocket, of course it does. It stops as I reach my bed so I take a second to take in how peaceful Max looks in her sleep. There is no constant crinkle in her forehead from her constantly frowning, and there is no purse to her pink lips. I sigh and turn around only to have the buzzing start again. I reach my hand down and try to reach into Max's pocket, if her pants weren't so tight I probably could have removed the phone from her pocket, but I have no such luck. 

"What are you doing?" She groans. My feet carry me back a few feet away from my bed. 

"Your phone is going off and it woke me up" I whisper despite the fact we are the only people in the room. I watch silently as she digs into her pocket, her large hand struggles into the pocket but she pulls out her phone and answers it. 

"What?" She snaps into the mouth piece. A few seconds later she rolls his eyes and swipes her hand over her forehead. 

"I am not coming back there tonight, I am at a friend's house" Are we friends? Of course not, she is just giving whoever is on the phone an exuse why she isn't returning. I stand awkwardly and shift my weight from one leg to the other. 

"No, you can't go into my room. You know this, I'm going back to sleep now, so don't wake me up again, and my door is locked so don't waste your time trying" she hangs up and I back away instinctively, she is in a bad mood and I don't want to be on the receiving end of her poor attitude. I reach Addison's bed and grab the blanket off the floor, I dropped it in my attempt to find the noise. 

"Sorry that my phone woke you" she says quietly. "It was Molly" The annoyance I feel for her is never faltering. 

"Oh" I sigh and lay down on my side, facing my bed across the room. Max gives me a small smile as if she knows what I am thinking about Molly.  I can't ignore the small bubble of excitement that comes from her being here instead of with Molly, even though her actions make no sense to me.

"You don't like her do you?" She rolls onto her side to look at me and I shake my head. 

"Not really, but please don't tell her. I don't want any conflict or teenage drama" I beg. I know I can't trust her but hopefully she will forget to torture me with this information. 

"I won't, I don't care for her either" she murmermer and I roll my eyes.

"Yea, you really seem to dislike her" I sound just as sarcastic as I intended to.

"I don't, I mean she is fun and all but she is quite annoying" she admits making that bubble grow once more.

"Well maybe you should stop messing around with her" I suggest and roll onto my back so she can't see my face.

"Is there a reason I shouldn't mess around with her?"

"No. I mean if you think she is annoying then why keep doing it?" I know I don't want the answer but I ask anyway.

"To keep my occupied I guess."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Talking about Max messing around with Molly hurts me worse than it should.

"Come lay with me" she interrupts my jealous thoughts.

"No"

"Come on, just lay with me. I sleep better when you are with me" she admits and I sit up and look at her.

"What?" I can't hide my surprise at her words. Whether she means them or not, they make my insides melt.

"I sleep better when you are with me, last weekend I slept better than I have in a while" she breaks eye contact with me and looks down.

"It was probably the scotch, not me" I try to make light of her confession, I don't know what else to do or say.

"No, it was you" she assures me.

"Goodnight Max" I turn over, if she keeps saying these things and I keep listening, I will be putty in her hands yet again.

"Why don't you believe me?" She almost whispers.

"Because you always do this, you say a few nice things and then you flip the switch and I end up crying"

"I make you cry?" How doesn't she know that? She has seen me cry more than anyone else I know.

"Yea, often." I feel emotional again.

I hear my bed squeak lightly and I close my eyes. Her fingers graze my arm as she sits on the edge of Addison's bed. It is too late, well early for this. It is four a.m.

"I don't mean to make you cry"

"Yes, you do. That's your exact intention every time you say hurtful things to me. And when you forced me to tell Chase about us. For example, you just told me you sleep better when I am around but if I was to lay with you, the second we woke up you would tell me I am ugly, or that you can't stand me. You humiliated me after we went to the stream, I thought that..never mind. There are only so many times I can have this talk with you. " I breath.

"I am listening this time" Her eyes are unreadable.

"I just don't know why you love this game so much, you play cat and mouse with me. You are nice, then mean. And I heard you tell Addison you would ruin me if I came around you, then you wanted to drive me home. You are just hard to figure out"

"I didn't mean that. That I would ruin you, I just .. I don't know I just say things sometimes" she defends.

"Why did you drop Literature?" I finally ask.

"Because you want me to stay away from you, and I need to stay away from you."

"So why don't you?" I am slightly aware of the shift in energy around us. Somehow we have moved closer, our bodies only inches apart. There always seems to be a magnetic force between us, pulling us together.

"I don't know" she huffs. She rubs her hands together then rests them on her knees.

I want to say something, anything but I can't without telling Max that I don't want her to stay away and that I think about her every second of everyday.

"Can I ask you something and you will be completely honest?" She finally breaks the silence. I nod.

"Did you .. did you miss me this week?" That was the last thing I expected her to ask me.