36: Confessions and Choices (part 2)

-There was a broken heart begging to have someone listen-

He grabbed my hand...led me down a small path, through some thick bushes, and stopped before a beautiful lakeside that was hidden by thick bushes. There were chairs placed around the lake, a bench placed near the steps that were leading to the depth of the lake. 

Under the bright full moon, the lake was crystal clear and glimmering. The subtle wind blowing made its waves roll before me. I took a deep breath. He was now staring at the flowing lake, looking for some words; both of us had agreed to talk, but there was just so much to say...he seemed like he didn't know where to start from. 

"This lake is named after nano. There was a local industry that started using this lake as a dump for throwing away harmful chemicals. It killed so many lake animals. Nano immediately sued that industry, bought land around this lake and built a rescue centre for the injuries creatures." Demir spoke. He was talking about Madam Geena-the woman who had so much hope in us. She was a gem. Honestly, despite her naivety and belief in this world, she had been such an inspiration for me.

I remember when I had first arrived at the hill city. I was broken, tired and completely lost. The need to earn money for my family had been chewing on my sanity...making me feel so incompetent and miserable about myself. 

She found me working in a local antique shop. My visible boredom...personality contrasting with the surroundings...made her take pity on me and pull me under her wing. From there, she was always uplifting me...telling me about her family.

Joining her for tea in the evenings was when I would learn about the silent miseries hidden in her luxurious life. She was lonely, bored and exhausted by her rich lifestyle. Her family consisted of rich tycoons who were too busy dealing with business deals to bother about spending quality time together. It was a loss. I felt it. Money had never equated to happiness for me; it was all about necessities and needs. 

Feeling Madam Geena's pain and silent cry for company, I would try my best to act as a family member for her. Despite being horrible at cooking, I would try for her. And she, being the gem she was, she would always accept my treats with a happy smile. It was so comforting bonding with Madam Geena and being loved by her. She reminded me so much of my own miserable grandmother. She took care of me, gave me a job...but I never knew her kindness would in return burden me for life. 

Demir had always been Madam Geena's favourite grandson. She used to tell me about him being a mischievous teenager. The gleam in her eyes, the adoration...it showed how much Demir meant to her, and honestly, hearing about how charming he was and his mischievousness...I, somehow, didn't mind listening to Madam Geena talk about her grandson. It had been wrong of her...wrong of me to listen, but the burdens, the sense of gratitude...they would always keep me weighed. When she asked me to marry her grandson...begged me to take care of him, I couldn't really say no. I should have. It would have saved me. But I didn't. 

Now, as I thought about the woman who both healed and broke my heart, I couldn't help but miss her terribly. I owed her so much. She hadn't told me about her grandson's past, but that doesn't mean she meant ill. She was one of my biggest fans. I loved her for that. Having her be in a coma for so long had been tough. Part of me was happy that she was finally at peace. She deserved that. 

"She was a gem," I agreed, trying to keep my emotions at bay. Despite being adored by her, only Demir had the right and permission to call her nano. 

"She loved you so much," Demir then turned towards me, eyes gleaming earnestly. "She threatened to leave you everything in inheritance if I didn't marry you," he confessed. My eyes widened in shock. 

I didn't know that. 

To go to such an extent. I knew that she had offered money to the family, but this...this was blackmailing and making me seem like a complete gold digger. What was she thinking?