Chapter 24: The Visit

The Great Hall was bustling one chilly Saturday morning at Hogwarts. The enchanted ceiling displayed a bright blue sky dotted with fluffy clouds. Warm sun streamed into the room from the large windows behind the High Table that seated the staff. Excitement filled the air as students chatted loudly about how they would spend their day at Hogsmeade Village.

"Honeydukes has the limited edition Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. There's thirty-seven new beans! I've been dying to see how badly the Peppered-Bile one tastes-"

"-I heard him telling his friends he might take me to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop for our date. Oh, it'll be so romantic-"

"-I wonder how Snape will enjoy the Screaming Yo-Yo I plan to buy today at the joke shop. We can use it to drown out the sound of his voice in class-"

"-I want to visit the Shrieking Shack and see what all the fuss is about. Whoever said it's the most frightening building in Britain was clearly not in my house last summer when Mum found my secret stash of Firewhiskey under my bed."

Grace overheard the conversations and thought about where she would like to visit today. She turned to her friend Ginny Weasley, a fifth-year girl with fiery red hair. Grace and Ginny had gotten rather close over the past few weeks, despite Grace being a year older than her fellow Gryffindor.

Ginny always let Grace rant to her about the troubles of her life, especially those involving Ryan. Ginny understood a lot about manipulation, so hearing how Ryan had treated Grace in the past made her furious. Although things seemed to be a little better between Grace and Ryan, Ginny knew that his controlling actions did not just disappear with the snap of a finger. Grace just couldn't see it. The bruises on her skin became scarce, but little did she know her mind was the one taking the beating now.

"What shops do you want to visit, Gin?" Grace asked, dreaming of filling her pockets with Chocolate Frogs and Pumpkin Pasties.

"Oh, you know, the usual..." Ginny trailed off before leaning closer to Grace so that she could whisper just between the two of them. "Listen, I have a plan."

A smirk appeared on Grace's face. She already liked where this was going.

"I've been saving up for a new broomstick. My Cleansweep Five is practically in shambles. There's no way it will last another day on the Quidditch Pitch," explained Ginny.

"So you want to go to Sprintwitches Sporting Needs?" Grace asked, holding in laughter as Ginny instantly spit the pumpkin juice she had been drinking back into her goblet.

"Yuck! Don't even mention that name in front of me!" Ginny teased. "I didn't spend all this time saving up Galleons just to waste it on a cheap, wooden stick from Sprintwitches."

Grace threw a napkin at her friend's face, laughing as she waited for her to continue.

"We're going to Quality Quidditch Supplies," Ginny finished, beaming.

"Yeah, that's great and all, Gin, but there's just one problem," Grace started. "Quality Quidditch Supplies is in Diagon Alley, not Hogsmeade."

Ginny put her hand to her chest as she gasped, faking a shocked expression.

"I can't believe you think so little of me. I've obviously already sent an owl to Fred and George telling them to meet us outside one of the shops on the edge of the village when we get to Hogsmeade so we can apparate with them to Diagon Alley. They approved, of course. They would always be willing to help anyone break a few rules now and then."

"You amaze me," Grace announced, grinning and shaking her head. "I'll just have to figure out how to ditch Ryan at Hogsmeade."

"Ditch? How about dump?" Ginny suggested.