𝐗𝐕𝐈

"I don't want to do this right now," Harry protested. "I can't."

"You can. You're ready," Bree assured him.

The two teens stood outside of the Washington State Department of Motor Vehicles, looking at the building before them. Bree just wanted to get the written test over with, as it had no real bearing on anything for her, except that her father was requiring the effort as punishment for a speeding ticket. She already possessed a driver's license and was not in any danger of losing it, regardless of what she scored. Harry, on the other hand, was just starting the process of obtaining a license, and for him, the looming weight of failure was almost unbearable.

"What if..." Harry began.

"Harry, the most that can happen is that you fail the test today and you have to come back tomorrow to do it again. Either way, you win. Because if you have to take it again, at least you'll know what to expect and you'll be that much closer to passing it tomorrow." Bree reasoned.

Harry didn't look that convinced as he opened the door to the DMV and followed Bree inside.

Desmond had submitted a signed medical document stating that Harry needed special accommodations for test taking. When he presented the letter, Harry was ushered into a small room with large windows. Inside, he sat in a small cubicle that housed a computer monitor and keyboard. The technician that had led Harry into the room hovered over the computer to ready it for Harry. Since Bree possessed no note for accommodations, she stood at a tall counter and prepared to take her test by hand.

They finished at roughly the same time. Harry took a seat in the waiting area while his score was submitted electronically. Bree stood in line to have her test scored manually by a DMV representative. She could hardly concentrate on the man that was marking her score, because Harry's name had been called. Bree watched his face as lit up.

"Did you pass?" she mouthed to him.

He gave her a nonchalant nod, as if to say, 'of course I did'.

"I'm sorry Miss. You missed one too many this time."

Bree was so busy communicating with Harry that she didn't understand what the gentleman before her was saying.

"What?" she asked him.

"You can only miss eight questions. You missed nine. You just missed it by one point. If you'd like to come back tomorrow, you can try again." He said. His nametag read Gary.

"What happened?" Harry came over to see what was taking Bree so long.

"Um..." Bree looked from Gary to Harry and back to Gary. "Thanks."

"Do you want your test? You can use it to study," Gary offered.

"Study?" Harry asked. Then a look of comprehension came over him. "Did you fail the test?"

"Shut it, Harry," Bree said in a threatening tone.

"You have got to be kidding me." Harry laughed. "That had to be the easiest test I've ever taken."

"They're not all the same," Bree defended herself as she walked away from Gary and headed towards the building's exit.

"This says a lot about the Phoenix driving system," Harry heckled Bree as he followed her to her truck. "You can get a driver's license there, but you can't even pass the written test here."

"Would you hurry up and get this out of your system? I don't want to listen to it all the way home." Bree told him.

"I don't know if I feel comfortable with you driving me home, what with you failing the written test and all. Maybe I should drive," Harry attempted to reach for Bree's keys.