Nightmares

Yay a gasp of fresh air from all the angst. This hasn't originally happened in the IRL story my cousin told me that I'm basing this off of, but I was beginning to start getting tempted to curl up in a fetal position and cry out of the feels in the most random places. Anyway, enjoy!

Shortly after being set down into the bed, tucked into soft blankets as her head lay cushioned into her pillow, Peridot still began to shift anxiously in her sleep. In her dreams, the memories of earlier haunted her as though she had to relive every useless scream and plea to stop as her last hope.

"N-No. P-Please.. why're you doing this...?" Peridot mumbled as she began to tense some more. The movement awoke Lapis who slept still at the foot of the bed.

Slowly raising her head from her pillow, she could hear whimpers from the other side of the bed. Sitting up, she could see Peridot whimpering in her sleep and incredibly tense.

She moved over to wake her up from the nightmare but didn't have to offer any assistance as Peridot shot up hyperventilating seconds later. Immediately, Lapis rushes over to her to offer comfort.

     "Peridot, are you ok?" Lapis asked softly.

     Peridot stuttered but could not get anything out of anxiety.

      "It's ok. You don't have to answer.." Lapis said wrapping her arms gently around Peridot and laying her head atop hers.  She could feel the other tightly squeezing her while shaking. "It's ok... it's ok," Lapis reassured her quietly.

     A minute passed by when Peridot choked out "I always remembered dreams being like an escape.. a-and now.. and now I can't even escape the traumas in dreams either... I.. can't—" Peridot stopped as she broke out into a sob.

Lapis pulled her closer to her body and whispered reassurances to her.

It took a good half-hour to calm her down, but when she did, Peridot let go and moved back to her original sleeping position she was in before waking up. "Night Lapis," she said closing her eyes. However, she saw that Lapis had already laid down at the edge of the bed and fell asleep. Peridot smiles falling back to sleep.

-

    About three hours after falling back to sleep, Peridot woke up again from another nightmare. Whimpering, she moved over next to Lapis at the foot of the bed hoping for that to prevent the flashbacks. As she curled up beside her, she could feel Lapis's body rest around her in an unintentional snuggle. She could tell Lapis was asleep and this was all being done through her subconscious mind, but it felt comforting to feel protected like this. She drifted peacefully back to sleep.