forty one

Eve's POV

I didn't mean for a week to go by, but with work and school and Liam's constant disapproving interventions, I couldn't find the time to see, let alone call Harry. I figured I'd just bite the bullet and go and see him one afternoon, making sure to bring along the cupcakes I prepared at Niall's house since my parents still hadn't bothered to replace our broken mixer at home.

Alice had told me months ago that her favourite cupcakes I make were the ones with the oreos in the middle, so I thought it ought to be a nice thank you present for the card she made me last week which Harry sent over with his last bouquet of flowers. The card had a messy drawing of what looked to be her and I on the cover, a scribbled out message saying that she hopes I feel better, and a neatly printed joke on the opposite side, courtesy of Harry.

It was Friday evening when I knocked on his door, a lingering weight on my shoulders and a container of freshly iced cupcakes in my hand. It wasn't that I was nervous about sorting things out, because Harry and I both knew that we would end up back together one way or another. I was more nervous about how we would continue on. We hadn't been together in nearly a month, and I don't think I was ready to pick up right where we left off.

If we were going to start over, we might as well do it right, a clean slate for the both of us with no more secrets or worries of insecurities that either of us were hiding. I wanted to try and take everything at a pace that we could both agree on, hoping that Harry would be up for the same idea.

"Eve," he said, apprehension evident in his actions once he shut the door quickly after opening it to reveal himself, squishing his body between the door and the frame. "What are you doing here?"

I frowned, a little upset at his uptight tone, "I, um, thought we could talk... You know, about everything."

Harry's face softened at that, the space between us suddenly filled with everything that had happened over the past month. But before I could say anything to sway his mind, he furrowed his brows and stood a little taller, "Now's not a good time, Eve, I'll give you a call tomor-"

"Harry, who's at the door? What are you doing?" He was cut off by a familiar sounding voice, Harry's eyes widening at the realization of his sister yanking the door open so I was able to see past his own body.

"Eve!" Gemma gushed, wrapping her arms around me and pulling me into a tight hug, her protruding belly poking me in the stomach in the process, "I haven't seen you in so long! How have you been?"

Gemma hadn't changed at all since I had last saw her, save for her hair which Harry had told me she was famous for changing colours nearly every week, "I've been good, and you? Congratulations by the way," I smiled, glancing down at her stomach. She beamed at my words, placing a hand over her tummy and rubbing it gently.

"I've been alright too, the pregnancy has been treating me well so far, let's hope it keeps up!" She grins, hip-checking Harry who's still wide eyed and staring at the both of us. "Come in, come in, I'm sure Alice would love to see you."

She walked back into the warmth of the house, and I quickly looked up to Harry to see if he was alright with me coming in after the invitation from Gemma. He nodded quickly, whispering an "I'm sorry," to which I squeezed his arm in forgiveness and followed him into his house. What I wasn't expecting was Harry's usually empty living room to be filled with a whole lot unfamiliar faces.

"This is Gemma's fiancé, Elliot," Harry started, , "And that's their little one, Oscar. And um, this is my Mum, Anne, and her partner, Robin."

I raised my eyebrows at the newfound information, Harry hadn't mentioned that he was going to be seeing his parents, let alone that they were coming to town. I guess it would make sense as we hadn't spoken in a month, but all I was worried about was how he was handling this. I knew how much of a touchy subject his parents were, and that's probably why he seemed a little anxious at the door.