28 - The Double-Cross

Meya woke to a throbbing pain in her head and a lump on the side of her neck. She tried to lift her head, but her brain began swinging drunkenly like a slowing top. Fuzzy yellow lamplights on stone pillars grew pointy blades like jousts and stabbed at her eyes.

Just as she was about to give up and go back to sleep, a shrill voice pierced her ears, adding to her torture.

"Arinel!"

Warm, soft hands squeezed hers. Blurry faces popped one after another into her field of vision, then gradually sharpened.

Baroness Sylvia sat on a bedside chair to her right. Baron Kellis stood behind her. Coris stood across from them to Meya's left, red-faced and panting. Zier leaned against a bedpost, arms crossed. Lady Arinel and Gretella were kneeling beside the bed.

They all looked pale and careworn, except for Coris.

"What's up with me?" Meya croaked.

There was a rustling of long robes, then Bishop Riddell's hulking frame entered the scene.

"Lord Coris said you two were in the Town Hall when a wooden beam broke and fell towards him. You pushed him out of harm's way and took the blow."

Meya blinked, eyes wide. She did remember walking up the stairs with Coris, but everything after that was still nothing.

"You might have trouble recalling it now. Your memories should come back gradually," said Riddell as if he'd heard her unspoken concerns. He frowned, his voice grave,

"You were extremely lucky, my Lady. The beam must have landed on the side of your neck, so you simply fell unconscious. Had it landed directly on your nape, you could've died or been crippled for life."

Died or crippled for life?

A wave of chill rushed down Meya's spine. She felt Coris tense up.

"How did the beam break? Was it old? Was it because of the earth-shake?" She asked. The tremors seemed to have infected her voice somehow.

"Earthquake." Zier corrected under his breath.

"Yeah, that." Meya waved a feeble hand, too groggy to be annoyed, "Was that it?"

Riddell pursed his lips and turned hesitantly to Coris, who was staring daggers at his father. Coris spared the healer a glance, then picked up right where the fight left off,

"You heard him, Father. She could've died. She could've been crippled. Today it was her. Tomorrow, it could be anyone. Anywhere. We must approve the repairs. We need metal. The Ban must be lifted!"

"Coris, your wife has just woken up after risking her life for you, and you're yelling over her head at me about godforsaken roof beams?"

Baron Kellis heaved a weary sigh. Coris bit his lips and fell silent, still glaring at his father. Baron Kellis narrowed his eyes,

"You're not Baron Hadrian. I shall deal with the matter myself. You're to tend to your wife until she recovers fully. Is that clear?"

Coris said nothing. Kellis repeated louder,

"Is that clear, Coris?"

"Crystal, my lord." Coris replied through gritted teeth, but the Baron didn't seem to want to extend the fight. After another sigh, he swept towards the door, signaling Bishop Riddell to hastily whisper an apology and dismiss himself with a quick bow.

Arinel surreptitiously patted Meya's hand, then rose and followed Gretella outside. The Baroness met Coris's eyes miserably and shook her head, then beckoned Zier over to help her to her feet.